Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Exclamation Guys, Maine looks SERIOUSLY sick...

Okay, he is in a three gallon to which the water is always at 75-76. Cleaned every other day, with tap water conditioner that is not expired, it's the same stuff I always use so not a change of brand either...

I noticed yesterday he was not as active. But he came up for food, even jumped for it, he ate well... He has NO physical signs of anything. Overnight, this happened...

- fins are grey. Like someone used a lighter on him. This is on two fins so far.
- sprinkled with ick. Overnight? Something is definitely wrong...
- more lethargic, and sometimes dashes.
- face seems more sunken??? Never seen this happen. sides of his face seem more sunken than they should be. But no missing scales.
- didn't respond very well to me, until I moved his tank, which then he dashed for the top.

What is going on? what happened? I am going to put him immediately in new clean water (today was cleaning day anyways) with tap water conditioner, and of course a heater (which'll bring it to 78 or so), and an immediate AQ salt bath. That's the only thing I can think of!

Sorry for bad quality pictures, camera broke and all I have is an ipod that has terrible picture-taking ability >< please help! first picture is the before, what he SHOULD look like. Next are the ones of him relaxing at the top with his condition!
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

This doesn't look good. Check out this thread and see if his symptoms match up:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ystery+disease
Put him in a small container with AQ salt (1 tsp per gallon) and either stresscoat or tannins (from oak or IAL leaves) in the mean time.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella...how old is he......how much aquarium salt are you using and do you have any tannins you can add.....and you can see Ich...correct....

Good that you QT him-I would premix some treatment water and do a full 10 day treatment, lights out-quiet location, offer small frequent meals....

With sudden changes like this....usually it is related to a toxic substance-from either the air, hands...etc.....and if it happened within 24h of a water change it could be osmotic shock and often they don't recover from that.....when I suspect osmotic shock I like to use Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins for comfort.....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

It matches that thread ;( But it's weird because... it just... overnight?! And, yeah, he is blue... coincides with the thread. What causes it? he is a super healthy high immune system betta, like Spartan! And it doesn't look furry...just... like he was in a fire, without the edges being singed.

I have him right now on .5 tsp, slowly going to add it to be 1 tsp of salt. He is only a young guy - maybe 14 months. So it is not like it should be of age? (Unless I am lucky to get the 4-7 year range with most of my other bettas...)

I will note that there is something in my room that I am allergic to. And that too, happened overnight. I have been sneezing like 4-6 times in a row, don't have a cold, and ONLY in my room... Luckily I have my betta baby spawn mostly covered. But if it is something in the room I may shut off everything (filters and such) momentarily and clean the heck out of that room, for anything that could be causing a problem. I don't have everyone with lids because some just do not jump. No one is displaying any odd symptoms, but I don't want to risk it.

If it is something in the room what do I do??

I never had him with anyone else, because he is a mean boy. So no one else is at risk if it is contagious. And I have had tannins, maracyn two, and all that being shipped since Madame's dropsy death. they should be here in a week - but that's too late by then. We have no oak trees... Are there any other types of leaves I could use?? other than almond or oak?

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 11-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

Poor guy, I don't think any of the fish in the thread made it through, but perhaps he'll be lucky! In a pinch you can use decaf green tea (plain green tea, no added flavors and must be decaf!). But it doesn't work as well as IAL or oak leaves so you might as well just hold off on it for now. If you have stresscoat you could use that, it has soothing properties in it. Have there been any new chemicals in your room (laundry detergents, soaps of any kind, etc)?

*edit* nobody has been able to figure out exactly what causes it yet, but it doesn't appear to be contagious. Continue to watch his fins, if the disintegration stops then he might make it, but it took most of the fish in 24 hours.

Last edited by Indyfishy; 11-02-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
Poor guy, I don't think any of the fish in the thread made it through, but perhaps he'll be lucky! In a pinch you can use decaf green tea (plain green tea, no added flavors and must be decaf!). But it doesn't work as well as IAL or oak leaves so you might as well just hold off on it for now. If you have stresscoat you could use that, it has soothing properties in it. Have there been any new chemicals in your room (laundry detergents, soaps of any kind, etc)?

*edit* nobody has been able to figure out exactly what causes it yet, but it doesn't appear to be contagious. Continue to watch his fins, if the disintegration stops then he might make it, but it took most of the fish in 24 hours.
Nothing new in my room. But even my nose is telling me something is up x.x There has been 0 chemical or cleaning spills, no laundry detergents, soaps, nothing. Never cleaned his or anyone else's tanks or bowls with cleaner, always use warm to hot water with a quick rinse down.

I saw in the thread... they say to give them to the university for testing and such... How does that work? And where could I go? I mean, my bf is in the university here I could ask about if anyone wants to do something on the research but it is a super long shot.

I could never have him with other fish because he is fiercely mean. Last time he was with Spartan and the little poop magician like made it to the other side. So he was permanently by himself. He isn't even a tail biter..
I don't want to lose another fish
Old 11-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

Send a private message to DarkMoon17, she will tell you how/where to send his body for research if he does die. Have there been any new dechlorinators opened up, or even new fish food? sometimes those can cause allergies. I'm so sorry, this is absolutely terrible =(
Old 11-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Nope. Same pellets, same dechlorinator. :( I make sure not to change the types or the brands because I know some bettas are finicky. He is still eating, and when I get him to come up he acts normal. Right now he is resting between the wall and the heater.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

Even if it is the same brand, were there any bottles that just got opened? There could be something wrong in the batch you got. Unlikely, but possible X(. Try PMing DarkMoon17 for advice on what medications you can try on him, she's a vet and she's done alot of research on these things =)
Old 11-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I pm'd her.

And this one has been used since last week. No one has really gotten sick from it. Only other sicknesses, was Madame - which the cory disappeared and polluted the water and she got the blunt force of it.

No one else got sick, I did a 75% water change in that tank (20 gallon sorority). Everyone is acting normal, and my two rescues are healing well for their fins. Fry have been fine, the strongest surviving as usual... Other than that there wasn't any other illnesses, nothing similar. I do not have another blue male, but others have blue on them. I'm going to shut off everything, cover everyone, and make sure nothing in that room is the cause as a just in case...