Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

A question... I dont think it would work. My bf suggested it. If i cannot find preservative can I freeze him or will this cause problems?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #12 
bahamut285

Freezing will damage cellular structure
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Thanks. That is what I thought. Bettas I will note are fragile when dead. Actually, most small fish are.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #14 
bahamut285

No, it's not that. Freezing just damages cellular structure. Even in humans and other animals, lol
Old 11-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #15 
vaygirl

Okay, I'm just passing this on. 1fish2fish had a female that developed this in 14 hours? I think. She got a diagnosis elsewhere that it's just a different type of columnaris involving necrotic tissue. Their recommendation was treatment with either Kanamycin or Neomycin. Both are antibiotics. Seachem markets both under the name Kanaplex and Neoplex. If you can find them, they might help. But this is usually EXTREMELY fast moving. But IF you wanna try, amazon carries both.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #16 
cajunamy
Banned

I can't help with the mystery disease (I hope I never have to deal with that :( ) but I know that they will catch ich from too cold, and dirty water. It sounds like your water is on the cooler side, so I'm thinking whatever the disease is, lowered his immune system and he caught ich more easily.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #17 
bahamut285

Oops I forgot to write get well soon D:...forum baleeted my comment.

GET WELL SOON!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #18 
1fish2fish

Like Vaygirl said I was told on another forum and by several IBC members that what my fish had was Columnaris and that the darkened tissue was necrosed.. there is nothing that is going to help that. You can TRY to stop the spread and hope the dead tissue falls off however.

However I'm not positive that is columnaris since he is exhibiting none of the other symptoms. You might consider searching for other causes of tissue necrosis in fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #19 
DarkMoon17

@1fish2fish- did you attempt treating her with anything?

@Sena Hansler- Freezing won't work since water (and most animals are made of mostly water) expands when frozen and will destroy tissue. You would need a biopsy jar from your local vet. They should be able to send it out for testing though that would be expensive....

I doubt columnaris since he doesn't have any visible bacterial colonies. From what I can find the most likely cause is an internal fungal infection. Do you know if there has been any history of mold/fungus in your house? Is it a new or old house? There may be a mold source somewhere in your room causing you to sneeze and possibly causing your boy's problem... That's a bit of a stretch though... If you can get API Triple Sulfa or Kanamycin it may be worth a try depending on his condition. If he is too weak then stick to Aquarium Salt and tannins.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #20 
1fish2fish

When I got home 4 of my eight girls were dead (this was only 18ish hours since I'd last checked on them and they were fine). I took the 3 live ones with obvious signs of columnaris and treated with a marycin 1 and 2 combo but all three were dead by the next morning. By the time I caught it it was too late.

I have one survivor who never showed any symptoms. Treated her with neomycin for 1 week (I think.. could have been two) as a precaution. She's healthy and thriving.

Here's the girl Janine was talking about. Neither of the other two had the necrosis but 3 of the dead ones did upon inspection.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote