Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #21 
Sena Hansler

Too late to get those medications. Almond leaves came in the maio today so i put some in. Heated to 78. He has NEVER had a problem, no ich... And overnight powdered with ich? A few spots sure... But that bad?? It's just... Weird :( and saddening I get to watch him die...

This is a new house (within 7 years) no mold or fungus recorded or known of. The two huge almond leaves I put in make the visual on him hard

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 11-03-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #22 
Sena Hansler

He is still alive but it has spread some more. On his tail it has gone yellow though... and stops before the base. He is a little more active, and he is STILL eating. I left the two leaves in there and he uses them as a shelter... I up'd the AQ salt to 3 tsp (1.5 per gallon I guess). I really hope he doesn't die :(
Old 11-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #23 
DarkMoon17

He's a tough little guy, that's good. Still eating is a very good sign. Keep it up with the Aq. Salt and IAL... Water changes are important too but only do small amounts. Good luck and keep us posted.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #24 
Sena Hansler

Came home after work. Definitely tough... He now lingers near the middle, does less dashing and frantic movements - not very active but not lying on the bottom! Tomorrow I will do a water change - maybe 50%. how long can the leaves stay in btw?

Whatever this is, it came fast but I'm really determined not to lose another betta :( especially him
Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #25 
inkrealm

oh dear... did you happen to notice his body changing color at all before the fins got the "burnt" appearance? or did he look normal that night?....
I'm glad your boy seems to be responding/.... just fresh water and Almond leaves? keep us posted... <3 I'm glad he sounds like he's staying tough and fighting it....
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #26 
Sena Hansler

Inkrealm, nothing changed. His fins were shown off as he always does - body same color fins same color. A little less active but that was the only sign... It has now spread across most of his two affected fins. Even everything had to have shut down in order for ich to powder overnight - I have never seen that severity in such a short time... Plus a sunken face? I'm still baffled.

But he has stopped breathing hard, looks more relaxed...

Just a really random question someone brought up to me. If that is the only infected area, to avoid spread couldn't you trim off the infected area? 'course I'd never do that but the question did have some sense I guess.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #27 
DarkMoon17

With larger animals we would amputate the dead tissue... but I don't think that would be a great plan with a small fish. In theory it would be a good idea though.

Are there any live plants in his tank?

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 11-04-2011 at 09:01 AM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #28 
Sena Hansler

No live plants. He didn't have anything he could get snagged on, nothing that decomposed - I cannot figure it out. And the ich won't go away! Did a water change for him, adjustable heater turned up more. The "grey" is now more black, an is affecting all of his fins asides from pectoral. Not on the body yet. Just the two almond leaves in the tank... he likes them for cover.

A question.. would it hurt to give him something more solid, to dislodge ich? or does it just remove scales? He seemed pretty frantic attempting to scrape of the bugs - but everything in there is rounded or soft.

Yeah, well I thought they had the right sense... only on the fins, take away the infected part. But that is tricky, clove oil is needed to sedate them, and making sure fin rot and any other infection stays at bay would be higher than usual. And plus never heard of anyone actually trying - so why risk it?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #29 
inkrealm

Blues seem to be getting some weird stuff lately :( glad he seems to be doing wlel all things considered though.... as far as the removal thing---- apparently, fish don't have feeling in the fins, so technically speaking, I guess as long as it wasn't too close to the body, it's a legit idea. maybe in a lab setting in an attempt to find a cure.... but I wouldn't want to risk it with my boy :(
I was curious because I have a blue as well and he mimicked the behavior of your poor baby last night to a T. his body even looked almost like your guy's does... however he didn't have anything I could see on the fins. though they've never looked too incredibly happy... x-x; still I'd think the ashen look would be hard to miss. if your boy does have the Mystery Disease by chance, it is exciting to hear positive feedback...
I hope he keeps fighting! ^-^ <3
with the solid thing I'd be really cautious... I'm not sure if they /can/ scrape them off... if you decide to try, watch him really close the entire time it's in tank.... he might rub himself raw :(
I think the ich takes some time to start falling off, too.... from what I understand what heating up the water to high levels (low to mid eighties) does, is quicken their life cycle... so they grow up and die off quickly. I also remember reading something about them releasing the fish to try and escape... but I can't remember if that was salt or heat...
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Yeah, a salt and heat treatment. Heat makes the cycle go faster, salt dehydrates and kills free swimming ones. constant cleaning keeps them from breeding. So that is my goal, along with figuring out if my boy will end up dying, or lose all his fins or what. So far he has lasted a very long time (day three) and appears to be recovering immune system wise, just not fins or appearance...