Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #11 
Myates

Yup, looks like popeye- can easily treat and not deadly unless left untreated for a long time.
Poor you and your little guy =(

Looks like you have Epsom Salt already, which is good since that is what you are needing. And luckily, you can use Epsom with your other medication if you choose to continue.

I would continue the 2tsp of Epsom, daily 100% water changes for the next week. If by the end of the week it's still there then I would combine the Epsom with either API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.

Poor fella.. question- are the white spots in the last pic on him or on the tank? Sometimes popeye happens when a fish has Ich. It can also happen by gas collecting in him (the "bends"), and even from hormones.

I would stop the medicine and just continue the Epsom for now, he may fair better, and heal better when his body isn't under the extra stress some medications cause. Epsom is very gentle and shouldn't stress him out.

Last edited by Myates; 11-04-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #12 
Lovemyfishybuddies

Ok, I'll start on your recommendations asap. Thanks!

Well I'm not exactly sure if those white spots are a sign of ick because he also has white rocks in his tank that sometimes produce white debris (especially after being moved around) and they land on EVERYTHING.

**edit: I moved him out the water to prep for a water change, and the white spots came off. So I think those spots were from the rocks.

Last edited by Lovemyfishybuddies; 11-04-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Lovemyfishybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #13 
Myates

Okay.. just keep an eye on him. If he starts darting or rubbing up against things quickly, then it could be ich.. if not and they disappear, most likely what you said.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #14 
EverythingNice55

I believe your fish has popeye. I can definately tell. You can treat popeye. I think that there are things that can help at your local pet store, and the internet! I hope he gets better! I'm sorry to hear that he's feeling ill!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #15 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemyfishybuddies View Post
**edit: I moved him out the water to prep for a water change, and the white spots came off. So I think those spots were from the rocks.
Okay good, that's one battle this poor guy doesn't need right now too!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #16 
Lovemyfishybuddies

Also, I had another question,

Is there a recommended temperature to keep him at for treating popeye?
I know that for some diseases it's better to keep the tank at the higher end, and for others it's better to keep the tank at the lower end of the tropical fish temperature spectrum.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #17 
Silverfang

I'm honestly not sure that temperature will make any difference for popeye treatment. Just try to keep it at about the standard 78 and he should be ok. I didn't alter the temperature when my boy had a slightly enlarged eye and he healed up just fine.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #18 
Lovemyfishybuddies

Ok, Thank Silverfang!

But now there's another thing that's developed.
He has this weird silvery coating over his mouth and lining his fins and he has it in a small patch on his side. its Just that one patch. I took a picture and circled the spots in yellow.

and I'm pretty sure its not from the rocks in his tank.

T-T
Any guesses on what's going on with him?
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #19 
Myates

Hmm... I'm going to have to do some research to figure this one out.. I'm thinking a few things it could be such as Columnaris, but have to double check. I don't want to say it's one thing and be completely wrong. If you want, PM either Oldfishlady or Sakura8 or Darkmoon17 with a link to this thread.. hopefully one of them can catch something I may have missed as I'm starting to get stumped here, I'm sorry.. I want to help your little guy, but I think at this point I need to bow down and hopefully we can get someone who is more knowledgeable in to continue.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #20 
Lovemyfishybuddies

Thank you for all your help though Myates, its really appreciated. (:

Tags
sick betta