Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #1 
MaggieLynn

Question New soroity member

So awhile back i bought this little male veil tail and after doing some looking into it seems he is a she, egg spot, no beard, but will try to flair, no bubble nest, anywho this female is in a divided tank i have and i was wondering if there was a way I could put her with my sorority so I can add a diff boy to the divided tank and clear a tank out of my room. my current sorority has been established since june. I was thinking that on the next water change of taking my girls out and putting the "new" girl in, let her explore alil then add the others. Friday is when I plan to do this seeing as I do not have class that day and do not work until later at night.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #2 
GreenTea

You could do that. This is what I do - I float the female in a see through cup so all the other girls can check her out and she can check them out. The new female usually flares for...awhile lol. The last girl I kept floating for over a week until she chilled out. I am sure to feed them extra the day I let the new girl out as well, tends to make them less aggressive. Good luck!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #3 
MaggieLynn

Thanks! Sorry about your spawn I was just reading your log. I really would like to breed especially with this "new" female Very pretty for a veiltail. Just need to find a good enough male haha
Old 11-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #4 
GreenTea

Be careful when breeding veiltails that you are able to rehome them, sometimes they are hard even to give away!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #5 
MaggieLynn

my only females are either crown or veil =/ I really want to breed I just dont have the money to buy a female from aquabid for my halfmoon major. i need to do more research first but I really want to breed.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #6 
GreenTea

What interests you about breeding? Just keep saving for a halfmoon from AB if you are sure you want to do it. It costs just as much money to raise common, or ugly, or fry with fin problems as it does to raise beautiful fish that you can easily find homes for.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #7 
MaggieLynn

Well for one just for the experience I love these fish so much, also everytime I go to petco I have to point out atleast 3 dead bettas to the sales people who give the same line each time, they try to stay on top of it. the only places I know of to buy these fish are petco, petsmart and walmart, and that is the order of best place to buy to worst as well, there are some lfs but they are ok one is on the same level as petco as for care.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #8 
GreenTea

Well, in my opinion, breeding bettas (especially veiltails) just to see what happens is irresponsible, for the exact reason you're stating. There are already too many being used, abused, and dying. What would you do with potentially hundreds of veil tail bettas? VT is a very dominant trait and would almost certainly wipe out the option of HM offspring. Your lfs might not be able to or interested in housing them, and the chains won't take them when they already have cups of dead bettas, you know what I mean? At the end of the day you just have to decide if bringing new life into the world that wouldn't exist without your interference is going to be a positive thing for those fish.

If you are still interested I'd just say do tons of research and save up for a quality pair of fish, and have a confirmed plan of where the fish will go beforehand. Pet store bettas also have unknown backgrounds and oftentimes hidden problems.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #9 
MaggieLynn

I know a small bit of breeding info. I know that veil tails are the dominant trait thats why I had the little confused face (=/) because of my now 4 veil tail females. I just wish this new girl wasnt a veil tail her coloring is just something I have never seen in any chain petstore female which is why she would be awsome to breed. The ending up with 100s of fish is what Im on the fence about. If I had more space I would most certainly start breeding (and with a pair from AB) If I did breed I think I would buy some quality crown tails. I love that tail type. But if I did breed it would be over a year atleast. Anywho I currently have the new girl in a cup clipped to the side of my sorority tank. She flared (as best she could) ALOT lol at the other girls and was not happy. The others were curious, and this was 3 hours ago and when I got home form my art class about 20 minutes ago the other girls really cared less she was there in the corner in the cup. and new girl (I only call her new girl because I am trying to think of a new name for her) seemed more calm
Old 11-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #10 
GreenTea

Yeah they tend to get the aggression out...it helps to feed em and keep the lights low. I only had 5 females in my 20 gal but now there are 10! Adding the last two tomorrow. One girl is VERY small, about 1/4 size of my biggest females, so I might pull her and keep her separate if they pick on 'er.