Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #1 
Randomperson

what type of heater should i use

i have a one gallon and im thinking of getting a small heater.
im new to fish owning, so i kinda dont understand how to tell the certian ammount of watts to tank size ratio
im not looking to go expensive, im short on cash (my previous fish was sick that emptied my pockets haha)
ive been to petco and i've seen a "betta heater" for 2 gal and up, i cant remember the wattage
what do you suggest

oh and forgive me for asking;
do bettas need a little light at night, i have mine in a room with natural light, i wasnt sure if i should get a tank light or not. i guessed since they are an animal that they should get some sleep. but thats my unprofessional opinion hahaha

Last edited by Randomperson; 11-02-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
Randomperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Nothing over 25 watts for a one gallon, and that might only work if you can adjust the temp. This is a common problem that people run into with tank that are 2 gallon or less. Whatever you get you will need to test and watch very carefully for about a week to make sure that the temp is going to be safe.

No, bettas prefer it to be dark at night. Someone on here has an odd little betta that likes the light on, but he also has a pitch black cave he can go into. So if you do decide to have a light, make sure he can go somewhere that is very dark. Of course you could also just have a light for daytime viewing, depending on how bright the room is.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #3 
Randomperson

I got a 7.5W it's the slim heater "for bettas" or at least thats what the package telles me hahaha
If I put it under my rocks do you think it will hear up my rocks so much that it might potentially burn my little fishy
Randomperson is offline   Reply With Quote