Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #1 
GamerGuy

Unhappy New Betta is Sick

Hello everyone. I'm very new to caring for Betta, and I'm in dire need of care advice for my Betta Ray. Within two days of adopting him, he had a sudden bacterial bloom fogging his water; and I noticed many translucent, white and stringy particles which break apart when I try to remove them from his water. Since there is a lack of normal poo in his tank, I've made the assumption that the particles are sickly poo resulting from internal parasites; which I would appreciate if someone could confirm.

I've been treating his tank water with bettafix, and giving him 3/4 water changes every two days trying to remove as much of the debris as possible. Is this a sufficient treatment? I will greatly appreciate any answers, as I didn't know his predecessor was sick (with what I now know to be the same symptoms of illness) until he started showing signs of sever fin rot and died within 24 hours of starting treatment. I really don't want to have to see another fish suffer the same fate.

More details I can give are: He is currently living in a half gallon fishbowl that I was given and designated as my hospital bowl, he's a crowntail betta splendens, he is eagerly eating his ration of Aqueon Betta pellets, and he seems to swim against his bowl though he shows no signs yet of external issues.

Edit: specified aqueon food as betta pellets
GamerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 
GamerGuy

Addition

Just now I noticed he has a fuzzy growth on one the spines of his anal fin, and the afflicted area appears darker in color and swollen.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...sorry you are having problems....we need some more information.....

How long have you had him, In the half gallon-water changes 3/4 every other day, any live plants, additives used and water temp...also what kind if any substrate or gravel and if so, was it rinsed really good...can you post a pic....currently using betafix for how many days...when the water went cloudy had you started the bettafix or was this after...

He is overall eating and acting okay other than the glass surfing....correct...

With the added symptom-I would go ahead and start him on high dose aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and tannins...

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water Add the aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and tannins and use this water for 50% water change every 15min for 1 hour to get him acclimated to the new chemistry and then start 100% daily tomorrow for 10 days....stop the bettafix and feed small frequent meals

You can treat in the half gallon, however, if it has gravel I would remove it or the small cups some Bettas are sold in work great for a QT for treatments.

This may be Flexibacter and the water temp needs to be on the low side....75-76F range to be safe...but google that and look at pic to be sure.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #4 
GamerGuy

Thank you for the reply, I'll start filling out the additional information you asked for now. I have had him in the half-gallon tank for about 5 days. It is without gravel, using Topfin Betta water conditioner, and without plants/ornaments. I have been using Bettafix for the last 2 days, and the water went cloudy the day before I started using the Bettafix.

He is eating eagerly; but seems to take some breaks where he rests at the bottom of the bowl, though they're usually only for a few minutes. I've also noted that he seems to sleep at the bottom of the bowl at night, as that's where he is when I wake up in the morning and turn on the light in his room.

Since the heater won't fit/work properly in his bowl, his water is at around the mid-70s already and doesn't fluctuate at all thankfully. I was actually a bit worried about the low temperature, so if it is that illness, I suppose it's actually a good thing. We will be getting a replacement tank by the time he recovers.

I'll look up that Flexibacter, and let you know if it looks like that in a moment. I'll also see about getting some pics... They might not be high-enough quality to see what's wrong, and may take a day or two for me to put up. Hopefully he'll be looking better by then.

I'll def. discontinue the Bettafix, as it doesn't seem to be doing much if anything at all; and I'll pick up some aquarium salt asap and add it to his already acclimating water for his next water change.

Thanks for the response, I'm already feeling less stressed about the situation. Hopefully in a few days, Ray will be too.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #5 
GamerGuy

It does look as though that might be the problem. Is it common for sickly poop with that illness?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to say...but generally all fish will have internal parasites that they pass on a regular bases along with their immune response that keep them from being problematic for them...sometimes a change in diet and high stress with a move can cause some odd looking poop....I would give it a day or two and see if it clears up...

Also, if you have kosher salt, pickling salt or table salt without anti-caking ingredients you can use this...it all Sodium chloride.....the small amount of Iodine is not harmful and it found and used in most aquarium and people just don't know it...... like-plant foods, medications and some additives used.....
Old 11-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #7 
GamerGuy

I just read that aquarium salt is just repackaged overpriced sea salt... Shame on them! Well, I have quite a bit of sea salt. I'll go check if any of them are without those nasty add-ins.

Found some, and sure enough it was caked so i know it's the good stuff. Shook it loose, and measuring out for the water change solution now.

I have a couple questions now just to be safe... How long does salt treatment usually take for results, and how will I know if the salt is hurting him?

edit: Ray seems undisturbed by the first addition of salt water solution. I'll let you guys know if he starts acting strangely as his water becomes saltier.

Last edited by GamerGuy; 11-02-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I like to limit the salt (sodium chloride) treatment to 10 day...depending on what wrong, how long they have been symptomatic, overall health, age, genetic...etc.....it can take 4-5 days before you see improvement, however, a full 10 day treatment in QT is still recommended....
Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #9 
GamerGuy

Smile

He's already looking and acting much better. Still a bit of rubbing against the bowl this morning, though he'd stopped last night. The fuzzies have fallen off from his fin, which looks as though it was singed; and he is more energetic. So this is how a happy Betta is supposed to look?

What I thought were sickly poop apparently were just bacterial clusters...? Anyways, there was a huge blob and a few little specks of poop he joyfully displayed to me this morning. The poor guy must have been constipated, probably resulting from his illness.

I'll continue the treatment for the full 10 days, but I think I'll start reducing the amount of salt after a few days in. I'm truly awed by the healing powers of salt. Thank you for your help, I probably would have continued the wrong treatment without it.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Don't reduce the sodium chloride lower than 1tsp/gal...its important to maintain a therapeutic dosage to prevent resistant issues...I would also recommend that you maintain the 3tsp/gal for at least 4 days-then if he is continuing to show improvement-reduce to 2tsp/gal for 3 days-then 1tsp/gal to complete the 10 days and start slowly increasing the water temp to 78F...but no higher until he is fully recovered.....
Are you also using tannins...

Is he rubbing like scratching (flashing) on the glass or is he running up and down like he wants out(surfing)???

Good to hear he is improving....