Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #1 
creamcookie

Arrow Please help, my fish is sick!!!

So, here's the issue. About one week ago, my betta started not eating food. He'd try to swallow it, but would... I guess vomit it back up? I've been feeding him the same food for years now, so I don't think the food is the problem. I checked the water parameters, and everything is A-OK. After four days, he started eating the food again, so I thought everything would be fine. But then I noticed that his poo is long, clear, and stringy, which I know is wrong. And I think it floats????(ew) Otherwise from this, his behaviour is also totally normal. So what can I do? Plus does anyone know the illness my fish has? Thanks :)
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #2 
Myates

It sounds as if it may be internal parasites..

"Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure."

Usually a white-ish coloring, stringy poo is a sign of parasites.. bumping this up to see if there are other opinions that can help.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #3 
creamcookie

OMG he's now starting to get raised scales so its dropsy!!!!! It's the first time that one of my fish has had dropsy so I have no idea what to do!!!! And from what I've heard, it's nearly impossible to cure! :( What should I do?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #4 
creamcookie

And btw about how long will my fish live without eating? Because he absolutely refuses to eat and I'm afraid he'll starve to death before I can even try to treat him...
Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

Raised scales doesn't necessarily mean it's dropsy.
Raised scales are a sign of bloating/inflammation/or build-up of fluid.
I betta can usually go 4-6 weeks without food.
IMO, it sounds like parasites to me too. I'd go with Myates' advise.

I hope he gets better!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #6 
creamcookie

Alright, I'll buy some meds tmrw. I thought that since my fish looks like a pinecone, I kind of panicked. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #7 
Myates

Pineconing isn't a good sign, and usually it's the last sign. But not necessarily- go ahead and start treatment, do daily 100% water treatments in his QT tank.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #8 
creamcookie

Ok, so I bought API General Cure today. Should I keep my fish in his 10 gal or switch to a QT? He's living alone, so the med. won't affect anything else...And just curious, but what would happen if he actually doesn't have a parasite issue, which means he's wrongly been given the medicine? :S Oh btw i noticed now that he's kind of floating with his head up, tail down-sort of vetical(?)with slight bloating...just adding that in case it means anything!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #9 
creamcookie

I just put the dose in, and my betta kind of went a bit crazy... he was chilling in his floating log, and as soon as i put it in, he spazzed a bit, then returned to his non-moving state from before...does this signify anything? Sorry for so many questions, but my fish have never been sick with anything but ich before! Thanks for the help
Old 11-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #10 
Myates

Place him in a smaller QT tank, and do daily 100% water changes, adding in the medication each time (if it's easier, premix it all in a gallon water jug to make the water changes easier on you).

Keep the QT tank bottom bare- to keep an eye on his poop. As long as you don't over dose the medicine, nor keep him in it for too long (ex: weeks) then he should be fine with it. When you see his poop return to normal, then a day or two after you can return him to his home tank. Make sure you scrub it out while he is in QT- with as hot of water as you can stand. Clean out the substrate and the decorations.