Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #1 
ShyDog

Good Luck? or just a time bomb waiting to explode.

So, I recently got back into betta and aquarium keeping in general ( I tended both saltwater and freshwater tanks for four years in high school) so I do know a little bit about how to keep a good tank running (That and all the wonderful advice i've gotten from you lot :).) So, I came into possession of a 10 gallon, have it rigged with a sponge filter, and a heater. I started another thread showing how I have it planted, and have recently added some other small plants that I hope will grow even more. The responses I recieved to the thread were positive and helpful.

I chose to make it into a sorority hosting 5 girls, 1 snail and 3 ghost shrimp.

Aside from one major fight between the alpha and the (second possible alpha?) things have been relatively stable, the alpha chases the rest around ocassionally and flares when they enter "her" part of the tank, but mostly they have established a good pecking order, and they have all colored up nicely.

I was just wondering..is this uncommonly good luck that everything worked out? or is there just an underlying time bomb waiting to go off? I want to do what's best for my girls, which requires educating myself even further.

(one of them occassionally will revert back to what I can only think of as a show of submissive stripes (stress stripes). It only happens when the alpha flares at her, and she quickly reverts back as soon as the alpha is done.
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #2 
ShyDog

also, just realized I posted this in the wrong sub forum, my bad
Old 10-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Sounds like it is good, but i couldn't find any pictures of how the tank looks currently, with the extra plants and fish. Feel free to post here. This sub forum is fine. In the most recent picture you posted it was not planted enough, but maybe it is now? IMO, the level of cover is the determination of whether a sorority will succeed or fail.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #4 
ShyDog

WIll do, currently at work but I'll get it up sometime tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Sounds like it is good, but i couldn't find any pictures of how the tank looks currently, with the extra plants and fish. Feel free to post here. This sub forum is fine. In the most recent picture you posted it was not planted enough, but maybe it is now? IMO, the level of cover is the determination of whether a sorority will succeed or fail.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #5 
ShyDog

Ok here's an updated version of my tank, since the last photo. The plants are plastic, no metal inserts, tested for rough edges, and tested/watching to make sure they don't bleed into the water.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #6 
ShyDog

here's the original
Old 10-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #7 
ShyDog

sorry last update, tweaked it some
Old 11-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #8 
teasell

Shydog what a great looking tank. What did you use for your white cave I love the shape
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #9 
ShyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasell View Post
Shydog what a great looking tank. What did you use for your white cave I love the shape
Thankyou! I really enjoyed putting it together

all three of the caves in there are bowls and cups I got from a local thrift store (about 4 dollars total) There's no dye on any of them, and I believe cause their ceramic their good to go? (also the alligator was broken without a price tag at walmart, so I convinced them to let me buy it for less than it was originally marked for :P )
Old 11-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #10 
Brian10962001

I had my first, and only bad betta experience the other day when I started my sorority tank. I had 3 girls, a double tail named Penelope, a crown tail named Pirscilla, and a veil tail named Lou Lou (gf named all 3). Penelope hit a big growth spurt when I was still isolating them but she wasn't all that much bigger than the other two. When I placed them in the 10 gallon with only a guppy in there they all 3 relentlessly chased it for a few minutes so I removed it. Lou Lou and Penelope had it out flaring and circling for a while before Penelope took rank and claimed her spot in the tank. Pirscilla wanted none of it and kept to her side. A full 24 hours passed and everything looked good, they all had their space and aside from Lou Lou's now and again challenging Penelope all was well. Well 72 hours later I couldn't find Pirscilla, I had to look everywhere before I found her cowering on the bottom. I also noticed Lou Lou had a tear in her tail fin and a few nips on the other fins. Pirscilla wouldn't come up to feed, and Penelope was very aggressive over the food. Finally I coaxed Pirscilla out of her hole and she had a HUGE piece of her tail bitten off spines and all.

That's not the bad part, all those nips can heal, what made me so sad was I pulled Penelope out of the sorority and placed her in an isolation cup beside the 10 gallon. I never even thought about the 10 gallon having cycled water and by the next morning I had bacteria over run and she didn't survive. I felt TERRIBLE for 2 days and my girlfriend was really down about it. Lesson learned and I won't make that mistake again!
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote