Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #11 
Laki

Ugh, I hate those siphons since I used it on my giant turtle tank years ago!! I can't tell you how much dirty turtle water I've ingested O.o
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #12 
PhantomJedi

See, you have to use the squeeze-bottle-on-the-end method. It's trickier because you have to get the seal pretty tight, but no dirty water ingested!
PhantomJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #13 
Myates

I always use the kitchen sink to fill up the siphon completely with water, then cup both my hands over both sides of the suction cup/hose, then would place the cup part into the tank and lower the hose part into the bucket (making sure the bucket is on the ground for gravity to work), letting go of the hose. The water in the siphon will act as a suction and that way you don't have to use your mouth to get the tank water going =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #14 
PhantomJedi

Riemann has officially upgraded! He's now in a 2.5G tank with a glass thermometer. I didn't get him a new heater yet because I wanted to do some research first and I don't know the first thing about filters. It was so cute seeing him explore his new home...he dove straight for the new little hiding place!

The straight glass meant I was able to take some much clearer pictures, highlighting both the lump-ish growth at the base of his dorsal fin and his reddened gill. They're posted below.
Attached Images

PhantomJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #15 
Pataflafla

Seeing the bump at the bottom of his dorsal makes me think lymphocystis. It's viral and will usually clear up on it's own. If it does burst, be sure to do a thorough tank cleaning to prevent infection or your betta becoming ill with it again.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Anabantoi...%20sick....JPG (This si what it looks like)

I don't know if it's treatable other than clean, warm water and good food.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote