Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #1 
Pataflafla

Cleaning Out Chemicals

Ratchet is getting fed up with being in the .5 gallon hospital tank, so I need to find a good way to rinse out the home that made him ill in the first place.

The first run through with rinsing didn't get the job done, unfortunately, and caused chemical burns to his fins and gave him some chemical poisoning. It's been over a week since he improved enough to be called healthy and he hasn't shown any more signs of illness.

I rinsed everything in the time frame of his ill period once again with hot water, but I'm nervous to say that it's enough. I'm sure that it's either the plastic/silk plants or the heater causing the issue with chemical leaching, which may be over by now since everything has been submersed since I got the new tank and such.

How many more rinses should I do, and should I use anything other than hot water for these rinses?

I'm hesitant to follow any sun exposure simply because I have a puppy that finds anything in the backyard fair game for destroying (Lost a nice vase, a hospital tank, a water tube, and a sit-up bench already) and I don't trust my neighbors not to take a fish tank with all the works if I left it in my front yard. If needs be I can try and work something out, but I'd rather not risk losing everything.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

if hot water isn't doing the trick .. try some 100% distilled white vinegar with water should do the trick (2 part water 1 part vinegar) .. and then give it a hard rinse a few times you can do more rinses if your paranoid like i am hehe ^_^ (hard rinse i mean with hot water and a strong spray .. like when u pinch a hose and it makes the water spray super hard) .. also dry the tank out .. like with a clean fresh dishcloth or paper towel so there's no extra drops that could possibly still hold any chemicals and baddies to re-attach to the glass as the water evaporates from the leftover drops .. if that makes sense @_@

drying out everything is good too .. if you can't do it in the sun .. just letting it dry out completely (a few days) should kill off remaining baddies .. though uv rays from sun disinfects faster about 1 hr in good sunlight would be enough vs. the 1 day inside .. that is if u can keep ur doggie busy for an hr while your aq stuff is sun bathing =D

also after everything is sterilized .. i would do a bare tank with just heater first .. then slowly add in things one at a time (1 thing a week) .. so if something goes wrong again .. you'll know it's the last thing you just added

do you know what kind of chemicals were in there?

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 11-03-2011 at 03:32 AM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

The tank was brand new when I bought it (My sister bought another at the same time? as was the gravel (My sister bought the bag and used half of it in her new tank). She put one of her bettas in after rinsing and that betta has had no issues with health. The only differences in the tanks are that mine has the heater and the new plants, so something from the heater or plants is/was leaching.

I don't think it was any paint or dye used in the plants since none have lost color and the water was clear when I dumped it. Maybe the heater gave off something since there is soft rubber on it of some sort (Tetra adjustable for up to 5 gallons is what is in there).
Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Alrighty. Here are my plans:

-High pressure rinse
-Hot water/vinegar/aquarium salt rinse
-Multiple hot water rinses
-Pressure rinse
-Possibly direct sun for an hour or two

Hopefully that'll be enough to take out whatever is leaching if it isn't gone already.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

that sounds like a solid plan ^_^ .. i hope this time whatever was in there get's cleared out .. good luck !! and post the results after =D

i have no experience with the tetra heaters .. but if it's made similar to the one i use (the eheim jager ones) they use silver as an current conductor .. so maybe whatever metals that tetra uses could be leaking somewhere .. it's the only thing i can think of if the heater is the culprit .. maybe try to let the heater in a bucket and then test the water after it's been running a while to see if it's some kinda metal leeching ..

i would aslo dunk the plastic plants into the hot water/vinegar/aq salt mix u got going ^_^ .. just in case something leeched on during manufacturing of the plastic .. even if the paint or dye's didn't leech or have visible coloring in the water .. it could be something colorless

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 11-03-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

I did the pressure rinse, soaked everything in a massive amount of aquarium salt and vinegar (like half a box of aquarium salt because I'm paranoid), and rinsed twice with hot water so far.

I'm letting it dry right now before testing on a molly (Since if one shows signs of discomfort within an hour's time then something is still wrong for sure). I'll probably rinse one more time before the test, and then leave it soaking to use the heat from it for the hospital tank as I have been.

A weird slime did come off of the top of the heater and the submersed portion of the heater chord. I'm wondering if that was either a layer of the water conditioner or something that was causing an issue. I'll test the heater after all this to see if it still works properly, but I don't have any kits to test for metals and such. I wonder if a pool testing kit would work (if I even still have one).
Old 11-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

Tested the tank with plants and the heater on with an adult male molly and all went well. I then tested with a molly fry and all went well with that.

I've got the tank water being filtered through activated carbon to hopefully reduce any heavy metals should there be any. Ratchet is floating in his much dreaded cup and is pretty stressed from the ordeal getting him into it (Finally resorted into gently pouring him into a half full cup since he wouldn't swim into it like a gentleman).

I'm going to change the water and rinse everything again tomorrow and leave the filter running for another few hours before slowly acclimating Ratchet during a time frame where I will be home to watch him closely. I'll have clean water with epsom salt on the standby just in case. If this attempt doesn't work, I'm trashing/returning the heater and plants (Hopefully I kept the receipt and it hasn't been too long).
Old 11-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

*crosses fingers* .. i hope this time is the charm =)
Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #9 
Pataflafla

I hope so too. He's been through enough in my attempt to get him a better home. I'm so skeptical of any new decorations now.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #10 
HatsuneMiku

.. i'm real paranoid too .. so i always do a vinegar/salt/water soak overnight and power rinse .. sunbathe .. then rinse .. with anything new i get .. just in case .. maybe i'm a little ocd about it .. but i always feel it's better to prevent now then have to treat later