Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #1 
Rjb5584

Was quite impressed by this little guy! My new guy!

I was at the Petsmart near my place getting a larger tank for Whitey Bulger (been dealing with some worsening finrot and tears--doing daily water changes, using a filter, and using Bettafix to help him get over it, but everytime he seems to be getting better, it just gets worse ), couldn't help but look a the fish themselves, and now I have this guy.

I don't normally like marbles or VTs, but this guy just looked like someone splattered all the hard-to-find colors on a single fish, and I had to get him! Black eyes and lips, neon pink body with a purple stripe on one side with a green stripe in the same spot on the other side, with orange fins, with a yellow...upside-down exclamation mark?...on his anal fin.

My girlfriend wants to name him Mr Fussypants because of the black "eye make-up and lipstick", but I was thinking something like Palette due to the unique color combination.
Attached Images

Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #2 
BellasMomma

o i hope yer mr. whitey gets better!!! i think yer new guy is really nice! i like the name mr. fussypants!!! but its totally a name a girl would pick, thats probably y i like it!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #3 
tracyalexa

He's pretty sweet looking.

Are you in Boston? (Whitey Bulger reference). I am. I actually knew Whitey back in the day before he took off. I was a teenager, he owned a store that we went to sometimes.
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #4 
Badjer

Hope your other Betta pulls through! This guy sure is gorgeous. I'm not big on the name Mr. Fussypants...Palette is cute and fitting though!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #5 
Myates

Aww he's handsome! I love orange bettas =)

Poor Whitey.. a little tip- Bettafix isn't idea to use, as it has a tree oil ingredient that has potential to harm their labyrinth organ. It's on the market because it is a watered down melafix, which is dangerous for bettas.

For fin rot, I would suggest trying 1-2 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon, predissolved with regular water conditioner, 100% daily water changes for 10 days. That should clear up the bacteria and kill it, then after that just clean water to help the fins heal. It's less harsh then using the "fixes" that in all honesty, shouldn't be marketed for bettas.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #6 
Rjb5584

I used the name whitey bulger because he is white, and has a slight mint-green tinge to his fins, and if I'm not mistaken, whitey is Irish catholic--green has always represented the catholic Irish, while orange represented the protestants (part of why my father always said we had to wear orange on st patricks day instead of green--lots of pinches growing up on day!). Also, I live about 30 minues south of downtown Los Angeles, and whitey was recently apprehended about 15-20 minutes from where I live. Also, he is quite aggressive.

Thanks for the heads up on the fin rot! I'm going to go pick up some aquarium salt today (and hopefully not another fish)! His fins were so pretty when I got him; I feel bad that they've started to go downhill over the past week or two. It's been slow, but progressing.

And of course, thanks for all the compliments on the new guy!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #7 
mjoy79

Wow such a unique color on him. I love it! Nice find! I was going to mention the bettafix thing but I see its already been brought up :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #8 
Rjb5584

With the aquarium salt: the directions say to put in 1/2 tsp per gallon--should I do that, or go with the 1-2tsp stated here? His finrot is getting bad, but not severe...yet.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #9 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjb5584 View Post
With the aquarium salt: the directions say to put in 1/2 tsp per gallon--should I do that, or go with the 1-2tsp stated here? His finrot is getting bad, but not severe...yet.

1-2 tsp :)

Mix it in a small cup of hot water and then add it to the gallon(s) and mix it up in there before putting in your bettas tank, adn make sure to adjust him to the difference in the water, cant just add hi straight into the new type of water (dissovels better the warmer the water)
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #10 
Fasht

I'm not really a fan of VT but he sure is gorgeous
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote