Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 05:30 AM   #1 
ncdadof3

Just hatched today

I have a brood of babies that just hatched today. My problem is the male acts like he could care less about the babies. They are lying on the bottom of the tank attempting to swim back to the nest. The male offers no assistance with helping them back to the nest. Should i take him out? Any suggestions or insight is appreciated.
ncdadof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

If he is totally ignoring all the fry...I would remove him-the fry should be fine on their own at this stage, you will have some fry loss-but generally the healthy fry will be fine...I have removed the male the day he placed eggs in the nest due to him being a known egg/fry eater and would still have a good number of healthy fry.

If he is a new or first time spawner-you may need to give him more time too.....is he tending the nest at all...some males need more time to get the hang of it...try not to disturb him or help in any way...sometimes this will cause the male to eat all the fry....

Tell us more about the spawning tank-is it bare bottom, half full, tank size, live plants....etc.....do you have any common snails, if so and you haven't added any to the tank...I would....the common snail will help by eating any weak or dead fry to prevent the tank from fouling too fast...

What are your feeding plans.....love to see some pic and hear more about your breeding project...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #3 
ncdadof3

It’s a 20 gallon bare bottom tank. There are no plants in the tank and it has about 7 inches of water in it. He is a first time breeder for me. He is a marbled veil tail. I just read that veil tails are not good for breeding because they are in consist. This is my third brood since July all different parents. The first two broods are doing great. I start my fry on microworms and they do awesome. I also have bloodworms and frozen plankton when they mature a little more. I do have common snails and will put some in. Do you think if I take the male out and drop the water level down to 4 inches that it would be beneficial to the fry? They seem to be able to swim to 4-5 inches and then tire out and go back to the bottom. Thanks for your replies
Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would add some live plants or even fake plants...floating and this will give them a place to rest off the bottom...they usually will rest on the glass too...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #5 
ncdadof3

I added hornwart, added a mystery snail and removed the male. I also dropped the water level to 4 inches. we will see what happens. Thanks again
Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 AM   #6 
Bambi

Good luck with the spawn. :3 Do you have any pictures of the parents?
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #7 
ncdadof3

I have to work this morning but i will post them later today
Old 11-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #8 
EverythingNice55

Males will do that. As Oldfishlady said, take the male out. This is what I read, but it says on Wikipedia or something like that, that the male will become aggresive with the babies. I think it's safer to take the male out. :)
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #9 
Bambi

I always remove the male once the fry are free swimming( a day or two after they hatch). But many people remove or have removed the males sooner.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote