Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #1 
kanadka

Fungal infection

When I fed Dexter this morning, he was having a difficult time swimming to the top of the tank and getting his food. I noticed some white slime on his tail. Could this be a fungal infection? Everything I've read says that fungal infections hit the head and body. I don't see any white substances anywhere else but the end of his tail.
kanadka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #2 
Myates

It's most likely excess slime coating. They will create it when they are tying to ward off some toxins. Normally a large water change will help clear it up.

What size tank do you have and what is your water change schedule? As well as the conditioner you are using?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #3 
kanadka

He is in a 3.5 gallon tank and I do a 50% water change once a week, which I did last night. I use the API water conditioner from Petsmart. When I noticed him struggling to the top this morning, I removed about 60% of the water and added some aquarium salt. This white stuff looks kind of gunky.

I should also mention that when I first got him (about three years ago), he was a tail biter. Most of his tail never grew back, so it's quite short now. Not sure if that matters or not.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #4 
Myates

I am assuming the tank is filtered, correct?

Slime coating can look anywhere from translucent white-cottony to close to white fungus patching with some clearer "trails".

You may not need the AQ salt, if you continue to use it, make sure you do daily 100% water changes, and don't use it for longer then 10 days as it can cause health problems such as kidney shut down. (1 tsp per gallon, pre-dissolved)

If it was 3 years ago then I wouldn't say it has anything to do with it now.

He is at the mark for their life span - 3-5 years is the average. So he may not be tolerating as much as he did when he was younger, and he is reacting to something, some form of toxin or possible bacteria that he is trying to protect himself from.

Stay away from Stress Coat at this time, as it will actually increase the amount of slime coating he is creating right now.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #5 
kanadka

Yes, it's a filtered tank with a heater (although it's not one of those heaters that you can set a temperature, so the temperature fluctuates - last night it was 78) and some decorations (silk plants, smooth rocks, and a 'cave').

Thanks for the advice. I will continue to monitor him for the next week and see how he does.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #6 
kanadka

Adding a picture, not sure it it'll help or not.