Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #1 
ProudMotherOfABetta12

Exclamation I think my very first Betta fish has fin rot :( help

my first Betta fish, Sully, has little rips or holes in his back fin. ive been giving him the medication the lady at the local pet shop said to but he doesnt seem to be responding to it much. ive also been doing partial water changes every 3 days (25% the first 3 days, 50% the next 3 days, then 75% and a full change). i dont have a PH tester or aquarium salt like everyone says you have to use because i could barely afford the water conditoner and medication. im really worried about him. can anyone help me?
ProudMotherOfABetta12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:06 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

How big is his tank? and what is the medication?
Is he active?

I would stop the medication if its not helping. Some meds that are sold for bettas, like bettafix actually do more harm them good and just keep the water nice and clean.

Little rips and holes- Does it look like his tail is shredded? Is there black around the ripped area? It sounds like either fin rot OR tail bitting. Aq salt would help but if you can't afford it, that's OK. Just keep his water clean. If there is black around the affected area, its probably fin rot. If he is a long finned fish, he may be tail bitting which can be caused by stress, boredom or anger.

AS long as he is active and eating, I wouldn't worry too much... I don't think fin rot is fatal, unless it touches the body and tail bitting is just annoying. However, tail bitters can end up with fin rot if water quality is bad.

This is tail bitting:

ETA: I think you should be doing more water changes, but i'm not sure how much more. Generally its one 100% change and one 50% a week for non filtered tanks. But to clear up fin rot, it might be a 100% daily.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-28-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #3 
ProudMotherOfABetta12

well his tank is actually just a really big candle holder. (holds bout 1 1/2 L) with small amythests at the bottom and a fake plant. thing is the plant has little pointy bits on the ends of each frond(is that the word?? O.o). and my mum is a bit iffy on everything. she wouldnt even buy me a small heater rod cause she doesnt think he needs it even though his water feels cold to me.
the bottle says is: Science products Fungus and Fin Rot Medication. contains 2,0mg/ml ACRIFLAVINE and 0.4mg/ml MALACHITE GREEN.
and it says on the back: All fish benifit from a 25% water change before commencing treatment and thereafter every 3 days before retreatment until cure is effected.
and he sorta plays with his food. like hell put half of it in his mouth, sit there for a few seconds and let go of it again. though somethime he has a little bit of trouble getting the little balls into his mouth. and his fins arent that long. i dont even think he CAN reach them. oh and i cant really see his little holes/rot cause he almost never flares out his tail. he's a wierd little thing. which is why i named him from the big blue monter from Monters INC. oh and the holes are at about the middle of his back fin. i really worry about him.
my brother also has 3 bettas (he had 4 but one died) and one of them has fin rot too. the medication seems to be working for his.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #4 
Leeniex

Please do some research and get your betta the proper size tank and other things it needs to be healthy. These things are affordable and your betta will be with you much longer. Your brother should do the same thing if he hasn't already.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Malachite green is used as a dye as well as a medication for fish. I have a quick cure which has malachite green as the main ingredient but its to treat parasites and Ich.

How long have you had him? I think fin rot is usually around the end of the fins, not in the middle. Ammonia can burn away their fins. I'm wondering if maybe the holes are caused by ammonia and not rot which is why the medication isnt working.

I'm hoping someone else pops in here to offer better advice, but I think you should stop the medication since its not working and do a 100% water change. Weather its fin rot or ammonia burns, clean water will do a world of good.

From what I have heard, eating the food and spitting it back out is kinda normal. I wouldnt worry about that unless he is not eating at all.

A heater would be good too since they are tropical fish. Also 1.5 liters seems kinda small. Do you have anything bigger to put him in. Sometimes I use storage containers till I can afford something better. Candle holders are tall and narrow, something longer and shorter would be much better. Just be sure to cover it with something so he cant jump out.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #6 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMotherOfABetta12 View Post
my first Betta fish, Sully, has little rips or holes in his back fin. ive been giving him the medication the lady at the local pet shop said to but he doesnt seem to be responding to it much. ive also been doing partial water changes every 3 days (25% the first 3 days, 50% the next 3 days, then 75% and a full change). i dont have a PH tester or aquarium salt like everyone says you have to use because i could barely afford the water conditoner and medication. im really worried about him. can anyone help me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMotherOfABetta12 View Post
well his tank is actually just a really big candle holder. (holds bout 1 1/2 L) with small amythests at the bottom and a fake plant. thing is the plant has little pointy bits on the ends of each frond(is that the word?? O.o). and my mum is a bit iffy on everything. she wouldnt even buy me a small heater rod cause she doesnt think he needs it even though his water feels cold to me.
the bottle says is: Science products Fungus and Fin Rot Medication. contains 2,0mg/ml ACRIFLAVINE and 0.4mg/ml MALACHITE GREEN.
and it says on the back: All fish benifit from a 25% water change before commencing treatment and thereafter every 3 days before retreatment until cure is effected.
and he sorta plays with his food. like hell put half of it in his mouth, sit there for a few seconds and let go of it again. though somethime he has a little bit of trouble getting the little balls into his mouth. and his fins arent that long. i dont even think he CAN reach them. oh and i cant really see his little holes/rot cause he almost never flares out his tail. he's a wierd little thing. which is why i named him from the big blue monter from Monters INC. oh and the holes are at about the middle of his back fin. i really worry about him.
my brother also has 3 bettas (he had 4 but one died) and one of them has fin rot too. the medication seems to be working for his.

Sorry about your little guy..

1.5L is .3 US/EU gallons.. I usually don't harp on people's tanks, but that is very very very small. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do in that cup of water.

If you say the plant has points, that is most likely what is causing the holes in his fins, and why the meds aren't working.. take it out. They love love medium to heavily planted tanks and a cave.. but you have no room for anything whatsoever if he is to be able to turn comfortably.

If it is fin rot, the edges will be crusty, flaking and black for the most part. But just small holes in the fins doesn't mean that.. it's usually a sign of decorations gone wrong, or high ammonia.

You wouldn't want to heat that with a heater rod as it will burn your little guy and heat the water way too hot.. you want at least 3.7L (1gal) at the minimal to heat, and even then it can get tricky. You should be doing daily 100% water changes for him.

As for food.. it sounds as if the pellets are too big for him. Either presoak them to get them softer, or cut them in half to make it easier for him. I have a girl who isn't all that small, but she just can't eat the common size pellets and I have to go through and pick out the tiniest of ones for her to eat.

If you do feel you must do the medication (even though I highly recommend not using it, since it looks as if it will do more harm then good because you can't say for sure it is rot) and since you can't get the salt, you will have to use the medication and follow directions exactly. You are doing the % of water changes it says, but it's not telling you that it is meaning for larger tanks.. since .3 gal candle holder is not a tank and the manufacturers wouldn't of even considered the size you are using. So have to ask, are you using a gallon jug or something to premix the meds in before giving it to your fish? Have to make sure it's the right dose for the size you are using.

I say save up and get him a larger home and heater.. you really should be prepared and able to support having a pet.. it's not wise to just buy one and not be able to provide even half of what it needs to live. Kinda like buying a puppy, keeping it in a shoe box and tossing in a treat once in a while. Sure, it will live for a while in there.. but is it actually happy, healthy and living a good life?

Last edited by Myates; 10-28-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #7 
tf1265

I concur with Myates 100%. It's probably not fin rot, he's probably stressed out because he has no room to move and ammonia is building in his "tank." Why do a 25% water change in a cup that size? Your bottle of medicaiton probably assumes you have him at least in a 1 gallon bowl - and if it's not specific to bettas, it probably assumes you have at least a 5 gallon tank, as those are usually the absolute minimum sizes for any healthy fish.

You can probably find something larger around your house to put him in, and I recommend that you do as soon as possible. You need to be changing 100% of the water daily until you can get him into a larger tank. Like Myates I try not to give people a hard time about small tanks ( I have 1 betta in his own 2 gallon, 1 female betta in a 10 gallon community, and 2 females in a divided 5 gallon) because there are a lot of different opinions and many people would tell me that my 2 gallon and 2.5 gallons are too small to be ideal, but .3 gallons is just cruel. Please find something larger for him, even if it doesn't look as nice.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #8 
Myates

A 1 gal is suitable and if able to heat properly with the correct water changes, it can be a good home. I use kritter keepers of 2-3 gals, which are perfect for a single betta. What's sad is a lot of those decorative "tanks" they have for bettas are more expensive then buying a 2-3 gal tank/keeper. Why it's best to do homework before making choices lol.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #9 
ProudMotherOfABetta12

the candle holder is actually quite big and i have a netting cover i made cause he jumped out of his first bowl. am i a bad owner?
my mum doesnt think he needs heating and that his bowl is big enough. i want to put him in my brothers extra tank. its got a filter thingy and a light and a proper cover. but my mum doesnt want to use more power. i really do love him.
so when should i do water changes? im getting mixed responses.
blurry photo. sorry. my camera is really bad.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #10 
Myates

That size I would do 2 50% and 1 100% per week with like-temp water, dosing the conditioner for a 1 gal/3L tank each time. The netting is a good idea, you could even raise the water level a bit more since you have the netting.

Your mom may not like or understand.. but what if you were able to collect the money on your own? As in doing extra chores for her or family, and spending your collected money on something a bit larger? Start with the tank first, then can work on a heater - there are different options to heating tanks, just the small ones such as that is harder. And bettas don't need filters, so you wouldn't have to worry about that at all either.

It looks bigger then I imagined, but still sorta small. But as long as you do the proper water changes, he should be healthy in there.

You're not a bad owner, just one who has heard and believed all those myths out there about what is okay for bettas. You're learning and understanding, and that counts.

Tags
betta, fin rot