Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #1 
chelonian85

Betta Tank heating: How do you?

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get some ideas on how to heat Betta tanks. I keep my Bettas in large bowls, with 10 individual bowls how do you heat all of them? Hoping to get some ideas on how to do this.

Thank you,
Rob
chelonian85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #2 
Micho

If the bowls are 1g or bigger each you can buy a small heater for them each if you can, I recommend that, but if you're tight on money that might not work.

I've heard people using power strips, try raising the room temperature to 82F. . . Other than that I have no idea.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #3 
tpocicat

In the reptile section there are heater strips that can be strung below the bowls. Just make sure there is a temp. gauge (sp?) in each bowl so you know it is warm enough. This works great for my smaller tanks to keep them warm.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #4 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
In the reptile section there are heater strips that can be strung below the bowls. Just make sure there is a temp. gauge (sp?) in each bowl so you know it is warm enough. This works great for my smaller tanks to keep them warm.
would this work for .5g-1g critter keeper type tanks I wonder? They're make of more plastic type material rather than glass. I have 2 of those going right now for 2 guys in QT for tail biting/fin rot.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #5 
Nickpearson1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
would this work for .5g-1g critter keeper type tanks I wonder? They're make of more plastic type material rather than glass. I have 2 of those going right now for 2 guys in QT for tail biting/fin rot.
Why do you QT a Betta for tail biting and fin rot? Seems this would stress them more by changing their home? And isn't the whole point of QT to keep a disease from spreading to another fish?
Nickpearson1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #6 
mjoy79

I'm just following recommendations given to me by experienced betta keepers on this forum. I have Charlie in a QT tank because he normally shares a 20G with 3 other guys - who aren't experiencing fin rot. Its easier to do 100% changes (keeping the water clean) on a smaller tank.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #7 
Nickpearson1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
I'm just following recommendations given to me by experienced betta keepers on this forum. I have Charlie in a QT tank because he normally shares a 20G with 3 other guys - who aren't experiencing fin rot. Its easier to do 100% changes (keeping the water clean) on a smaller tank.
Ok, yeah, good point. Wasn't trying to say what you are doing is wrong, just curious!
Nickpearson1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #8 
laughing

If you can find longer heating pads you can lay a heating pad down for a few bowls and just use as many as needed.

The reptile heating strips are a great suggestion and probably your best option!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #9 
LaLaLeyla

I use this heater - http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4134008
Works very well in kritter keepers. :)
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #10 
chelonian85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post

Is this the wire that heats up in the reptile section. I'm also from Fresno, would it be found at Whities or Petsmart?

Thanks,
Rob
chelonian85 is offline   Reply With Quote