Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #1 
Oregon betta

New Betta owner questions

Hey guys,

I just picked up my first Betta fish(first fish anyways) with a 10 gallon tank, rocks, the stuff to add to the water, plants ect. He is a baby Half moon Betta. When we got him home he was swimming around exploring his tank. He stayed mainly low but did go to the top. But last night he went inside his little house and only comes out to eat. He just ate and my girlfriend says he is just laying on the bottom. We dont feed him worms and give him 3-4 pellets in the morning and night. We dont have a heater and just used tap water turned all the way cold. Could his water just be to cold?
Oregon betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #2 
ArcticRain

Well, first off you need to buy a heater for your tank. Bettas are tropical fish and need a water temp. of 76-80 degrees.
Do you have a filter? If yes then you will need to cycle your tank. I am not an expert on the subject of cycling so you will need to find another member who can help you.
In your list of things you bought for your tank you mentioned "stuff you add to your water". By this do you mean water conditioner? If not you need to buy water conditioner right away. Tap water has harmful chemicals in it that need to be removed for tap water to be safe for your fish. I personally recommend API Stress Coat Plus as a good water conditioner.
Another thing that pops out at me is how much your feeding him. Bettas should eat 4-5 pellets a day max.

My main concern is the heater. Just getting this will probably solve your problem.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #3 
Oregon betta

"the stuff" is the conditioner sorry I wasn't sure what to call it. No we don't have a filter. I guess petsmart didnt really know. I have been doing a lot of reading and believe his water is to cold. Importantly we are pit of conditioner to add warm water. I was wondering if putting a few cups of hotish water would be ok, maybe bring the temps up a bit. I was reading that you should Feed babies 2 times a day about 4 pellets each time. This seems like a lot to me but we have been doing that sp maybe its a combination of those things.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #4 
ArcticRain

I personally would not mix hot water into the tank, As this would cause a temputure shock and that could harm you fish even more. Also, since you don't have a thermometer there is no way you could monitor the temp. What you should do is get a Heater and Thermometer ASAP!!! This will practically solve you problem and he should be swimming around in no time!

Since you do not have a filter you can not cycle your tank. The means you will be doing at least 1-50% water change and 1-100% water a week. A 100% water change means you have have to take everything out of the tank, rinse everything in hot water (including the tank itself), putting everything back again and repeating in about 4 days. I don't know about you, but in a 10 gallon tank full with gravel and decorations this could get annoying.
In a 10 gallon fully cycled tank you would only have to do 1-25% water change a week with a gravel vacuum. I can not enjoy the gift of cycling since my tanks are too small, but yours on the other hand is perfect.
If you are interested in cycling your tank there is a great sticky in the Betta Habitats part of the fourm called "A beginners guide to a fresh water aquarium cycle" I encourage you to check it out!

For the feeding part, I reccomend you feed two pellets in the morning and two pellets at night. With one fasting day a week. Fasting is where you skip you bettas meal for a day. Fasting is a good idea as it will help your Betta not get constipated.

Sorry if this seems like a lot! Owning a Betta is hard work, but it all pays off in the end!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #5 
Oregon betta

Thanks alot we are just worried he has a name and his own little personality and want It to be ok. Tomorrow we are going to get a heater for sure. Thanks for all the info. I will look onto the cycling. i hope he will be ok one more night.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #6 
ArcticRain

Your welcome! Glad I could help! I'm sure he will be fine for another night. If you don't mind being hot, you could shut of the vents in the room he is in or turn the heat on in your house. Another thing you could do is to wrap towels around his tank till you get the heater. That might help keep the tank a bit warmer and it might also make him feel more secure in his new home.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #7 
ArcticRain

Oh, I forgot... Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #8 
Gloria

Welcome.
Can you post a picture of your new little fella?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #9 
Myates

A heater is a must, as stated above. 78-82* is what you are going to aim for. You will be looking for approx 5 watts per gallon, and an adjustable heater will be more effective.

2-3 pellets per meal, twice a day is a good amount - for medium pellets. If you are feeding mini then you can up it to 4-5 per meal, twice a day.

You don't have to filter the 10 gal, for a 10 gal unfiltered you will want to be doing 1 50% a week, and the 1 100% a month - as it is a larger tank, you don't have to/need to be doing the 100% as often as you would a smaller tank where the chemistry would elevate quicker.

Good luck! And welcome!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #10 
Silverfang

and we encourage pictures, lots of them :)

other than get a heater and thermometer, I don't have any advice that hasn't already been given. He'll be so much happier in toasty 78-80 water
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote