Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #21 
purplemuffin

Yeah, my friend who had it done looks very normal in normal conversation. The tongue can still act like a normal tongue, it's a slit, not constantly spread apart(unless you do the ridiculous way where you basically cut out a huge triangle out of your tongue, OUCH!)

When talking it seems fairly normal, maybe a bit like an odd looking tongue(but who looks at tongues when you're talking anyway? XD) and only when she sticks her tongue out and wiggles it could you really see it, lol!

But yeah, it's always good to research and wait..and research while you wait..and talk with people..etc.

I've been planning on getting a tattoo for about four years now and I know it still won't be for another several years before I get mine done. I know I want to be in a certain point in my life first(though they would be hidden, not like on my face or lower arms and hands lol), partially because it is an EXPENSIVE investment. Also as an artist I know how much I would not like to have a piece of art on my body that I later think is badly drawn! I want to have the ability to be flexible on price so I can afford to get the artist I respect enough and not just get what I can afford! I actually want to get a master copy tattoo. Basically a rework of a great artist's piece. I've always been drawn to Alphonse Mucha, he brought me into the art world and through his designs and inspiration I have made a lot of life changing decisions. I'd love to have a representative of his piece "summer".. But I don't want a dinky little 'almost looks like it' type thing.. Gotta be awesome and beautiful and the edges will be redesigned to suit a tattoo format better. Not to mention I want a tattoo representing my grandfather, Bear. It's a long story, but we were very close and went through a lot of family stuff together. When I was born he called me "baby lamb" and those were the names we went by together. I want to get a simple, but beautiful piece of a bear and a lamb. Not many people are super good at animals though, so I know who I want to get it done by already. And I'd love my one simple tattoo to be my artistic symbol I use as my 'trademark' for my art :) just simple, sweet, special. But of course, I'm still thinking about all of these things. I am considering how they would look if I chose to get new ones in the future and preparing for that possibility in regards of size and placement... Also considering price and size--I know small ones are cheaper, but if you want it super detailed, consider going a bit larger(so it isn't 'fuzzy).... Considering style, elegance, class, and of course what others will say(even though they are becoming much more mainstream and common now. Less 'trashy', especially since real artists have shown up in the tattoo world and shown tats can be more than skulls, chicks, and barbed wire) ..Been talking to the boy about it as well, and we've decided to wait at least until we're married before we get any tats. He wants a few as well, also tasteful and not out in the open..

But yeah :D
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #22 
Bombalurina

That henna tattoo is beautiful! I have got to get myself some henna and do that sometimes.
I suppose that's the thing about something as lifechanging as cancer. You get a new view on life. I admire you for wanting to do your thing and be yourself. :) It's not the way I'd choose, but that's the fun of individuality. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #23 
Kytkattin

purplemuffin: ooo. Alphonse Mucha's stuff reminds me of stained glass and tarot cards. Does that make sense? It would look lovely as a tattoo, especially if you had a good tattoo artist applying it. I agree that there is a notable difference in just how tattoos are put on. My friend has a tattoo of a toucan that this one artist did, and she said that it felt like he was trying to push the needle through her arm! However, it is her most bright and vibrant tattoo despite being mostly black. The artist just did a wonderful job.

Bombalurina: I really love henna. I also really love how non-permanent it is. lol. Like I want to cover my entire body with henna at some point, and that is definitely not something I would do permanently.
Before I had cancer I wanted to be a marine biologist. I now fulfill that dream by just obsessive fish keeping and trying to make mini-ecosystems.
After I was doing poorly in school we went to the doctor and then I was diagnosed. After that I was like "why not do the thing I am good at and have been doing for years? And I can be who I am and not be ashamed? Sold!"
Which is funny because I joke that I will never sell any of my art. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #24 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
I have to ask...why?

Then again that seems to be a stupid questions when regarding body modification. I personally just cannot understand why you would want to mutilate/modify yourself in such a way?
I'm with Banicks. I keep thinking the same thing. Why??? Why would you mutilate your body like that?
And I'm not judging; to each his own. I just don't understand it
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #25 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
I'm with Banicks. I keep thinking the same thing. Why??? Why would you mutilate your body like that?
And I'm not judging; to each his own. I just don't understand it
I think we all ask "why" would someone do that. I frequently wonder why people want fast cars instead of fuel efficient ones. Of course when people have those there is a certain level of normalcy, so it is okay. A fast car is more likely to get in a deadly accident, uses more fuel, and pollutes the air more (hurting all of society, particularly those with asthma, not to mention those delicate ecosystems). Even if one could argue that what I am doing could and will only ever hurt myself, people will still think I am crazy and weird for doing it, but the guy with the fast car is "cool".

You also have to look at it in the context of the society we are living in. In certain tribes throughout human history self mutilation has been very prevalent and often a right of passage for children to enter into adulthood.
So while it is weird today, probably considered pagan in the states particularly, in some ways I am just continuing to do what humans have done for ages.

I also think that it is important to point out that I am not disabling any part of my body. I am not cutting off a finger, or paralyzing my leg. As it is, there is a huge debate as to whether circumcision is something that should be preformed on boys before they can give consent. And yet that is very much a mutilation, but most people are okay with it and even encourage it!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #26 
Kytkattin

And I just got my tongue pierced! It is totally weird. The good thing is that it did not hurt all that much (HOWEVER: I have been doing Yoga and breathing exercises for years. This really helps me and helped the process). The bad is that the bottom is kind of rubbing on the bottom of my mouth and it is not comfortable. I am looking forward to getting the smaller one in 2 weeks! Let the swelling begin!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #27 
purplemuffin

Make sure you take good care of it! I've seen some nasty infections from people who didn't know that it would take a while to heal up! :) yuck!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #28 
Kytkattin

If my wisdom teeth were anything to go by, I should have no problems at all. My mouth has never had any infections *knock on wood*. The piercer who did my tongue was very knowledgeable, took his time to get it just right, was super clean, and talked about how you don't want to do anything too different as to not mess up the normal chemistry of the mouth. Kind of makes me think of like how you aren't supposed to mess with the PH in our fishtanks! It will work itself out, just keep it clean with 2-3X daily brushing. Trying to clean it too much or even using mouthwash when you don't use it already might do more harm than good because it might mess up the good bacteria you've got going on. :)
Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #29 
Jrf456

Why not just Google a body modifications forum?

Good luck!(:
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #30 
Banicks

I'm not aware of any tribes that would split tounges, I know of scarification, implants, tattoos, henna and so on.

I'm not trying to disuade you, just trying to understand. But there is a difference between intentionally mutilating yourself and driving a car.

Whilst you say you have experienced pain and problems in the past, why try and create possibly more for yourself in the future? I know of two people who had split tounges and it doesn't look out of the ordinary at all unless they show you. But even the chance of losing the ability of your tounge should be something to seriously consider. Infection etc.

Anyhoot, good luck in where you choose to go. I can only say if you do find a body moditication forum that they will undoubtedly be biased and push you towards it and other future modifications. As people seem to say, once you get one tatt or metal you want more.

I myself only want a few tattoos, but have been sitting on a few designs every year. And every year I get a new idea in my head. Better than getting it permanently done and hating it in the end! Tattoos can be removed via laser technology these days or even a good artist can mask with another one.

This seems, permanent though :S
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote