Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #1 
Sassington

Newbie Question

I'm testing my guy's levels now and the results have me perplexed .. the ammonia is slightly off, and the pH is through the roof... my next scheduled water change is in 3 days. What should I do about the pH and can my guy hold out another 3 days?

Here are the results

pH - looks to be between 7.8 and 8 on the "high range pH" test
ammonia - 0.25
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm also

I swear I read something about the fish getting acclimated to pH levels on their own without need for chemical intervention and that less chemicals is better - Is this true?

Thank you!!
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Yes, don't change the PH. Fish adjust to PH. How big is your tank? If you are trying to cycle, don't change the water, but test again tomorrow. If you are not cycling, then go ahead and do a 50% change today.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #3 
Micho

Don't change your pH. Sudden change to the pH will shock and possibly kill your fish. Bettas can tolerate a huge pH range, and 7.8 isn't that bad to be honest with.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #4 
Sassington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Don't change your pH. Sudden change to the pH will shock and possibly kill your fish. Bettas can tolerate a huge pH range, and 7.8 isn't that bad to be honest with.
Good, I didn't want to mess with the pH - he seems perfectly happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Yes, don't change the PH. Fish adjust to PH. How big is your tank? If you are trying to cycle, don't change the water, but test again tomorrow. If you are not cycling, then go ahead and do a 50% change today.
Kytkattin - It's a 3 gallon w/ filter... I'm not intentionally/unintentionally cycling this tank right now; I had just planned to do a 50% change in 3 days if the feedback I got from you (peeps in this forum kind enough to help) said he'd be fine for the next 3 days until I do the 50% change... other than the pH, every other chemical seems to be at near perfect conditions... water temp 84 .. and aside from being a little freaked out by the new hiding thingy I JUST put in his tank, he seems pretty happy right now.
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote