Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #1 
inkrealm

Betta Turning Silver and Acting Hyper Sensative? ( skittish )

all day and up to at least a couple hours ago he was acting fine... super active in a friendly way, dancing wanting food, etc. at dinner time my mom offered to feed him, and put two pellets in the cap and dropped them in. so she didn't touch them. about an hour ago I noticed him hiding behind the cup... I thought he was sulking because I hadn't changed his water today, so I didn't think much about it... ten minutes ago he was still sulking. when I went to clean the dishes I noticed him acting weird in the back of the aquarium... I couldn't get his attention and he seemed to be freaking out at his reflection, but not in the territorial way... after a bit he gave a huge start and just dived behind the cup, and now he won't come out. when he was in the back he was darting around really freaked out and his fins were moving really fast... he also seems to be turning silver :/ I thought something might have splashed into the water so I'm working on changing it... but has anyone seen this before? :/
I just changed the water yesterday because he got finrot while we were visiting my brother. it's treated with Prime. no AQ salt yet. the water has been in the 60's.. I'm working on the heater but I've had a virus, and while I know I obviously can't directly give it to him I've heard it can give other things to him...
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #2 
inkrealm

I know that this sounds silly, but do you think he might have swallowed the food wrong? my mom says he jumped up and grabbed it. but that she didn't actually watch him eat it. so technically speaking he might have grabbed both of them at the same time? ugh.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #3 
ShyDog

Inkrelm, if you could post some pictures that would greatly help out someone who knows more than I about this matter :( sorry about your guy
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #4 
inkrealm

ShyDog- he won't even come out for pictures :/ I'm almost positive that either a chemical splashed in or he's choking though, as he's got a stress streak, turning silver, and he sortof bumped along the bottom before he darted off.... :/ he looks like he's suffocating :/

if he comes out I'll try... but I don't see much hope for him picture-wise or anything else right now :/ thanks for the response though <3
Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

oh my goodness!!! Poor baby!! He could be suffering temp shock, when you changed the water did you acclimate him?? I suppose he could be choking, but it's unlikely. If he was, you would probably see him trying to cough something up.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #6 
inkrealm

@Indyfishy
uh-uh, this started before the water change :/ I just decided to go ahead and give him one so he'd quit sulking, but when I went over I noticed him freaking out, and when I looked at him he looked awful, and then he just bumped and dived behind the cup :/ my first thought was something may have gotten splashed.... so I did a waterchange ASAP without being immediate.. I do ALWAYS acclimate him. good question though :/ <3
maybe his water is getting a little TOO cold? that still wouldn't explain for such a SUDDEN change though... it cooled over a long period of time.. and it actually gained temperature a little as the day went on, and when it was at the colder end he was fine so that makes no sense....
I was boiling some water that had chlorine in it.... I don't remember how that goes.... but I think it releases the chlorine... ( maybe not dont hold me to that >< ) in which case could it have somehow gotten into his water?
I finished the water change, not full, but at least 50%, and turned off thelights... it's also nice and warm now.. I can see his fins moving a little now in the reflection... but still can't see HIM or how he's doing... I guess I'll just have to hope... :/ I can't imagine what brought this on.... thankyou for the response..
Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #7 
ShyDog

This is some arm chair advice, but I would cup him and float him in the tank...just to keep an eye on him. (specially since you said he's having trouble breathing?) but again..arm chair advice and only cause no one has really come by except for indyfishy
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #8 
inkrealm

ShyDog- no, that's actually a good idea... if I cupped him I could also put him in with the heater... but the cup I brought him home in broke, and I really don't want to put him in a plastic container that's been absorbing chemicals from dishwasher and all else for decades. :/
maybe I could get one from the pet store tomorrow? then should holes in the top suffice? and how often and how in general would I switch the water?
I don't know for sure that he can't breathe, but it does look like he's suffocating... I also haven't seen him come up for air... but I don't know how long they can stay under water without needing to... his belly also looks sortof swollen... but I heard it's not uncommon for them to get tumors? I know he hasn't been overfed. unless my dad has been sneaking him food :/
Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #9 
TequilatheBetta

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76747
Is it like this?
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #10 
Zappity

He doesn't happen to be a blue betta, does he? If so, does he match this thread?
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ystery+disease
60F is far too cold for a betta, anything under 68F or 69F could easily kill a betta, so try to keep his tank as warm as possible. Maybe wrap a blanket or towel around it until you can get a heater. Ideally the temperature should be between 78-82F.
I would cup him and float him in his tank to closer observe him and maybe get some pictures. Pictures and filling out this form would be helpful so it would be easier to help you :)
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Good luck, hope he gets better :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote