Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #11 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrealm View Post
ShyDog- no, that's actually a good idea... if I cupped him I could also put him in with the heater... but the cup I brought him home in broke, and I really don't want to put him in a plastic container that's been absorbing chemicals from dishwasher and all else for decades. :/
maybe I could get one from the pet store tomorrow? then should holes in the top suffice? and how often and how in general would I switch the water?
I don't know for sure that he can't breathe, but it does look like he's suffocating... I also haven't seen him come up for air... but I don't know how long they can stay under water without needing to... his belly also looks sortof swollen... but I heard it's not uncommon for them to get tumors? I know he hasn't been overfed. unless my dad has been sneaking him food :/
I guess he could be choking, since your mom said he jumped at the food more than usual. I really do not know how to help when it comes to choking, but maybe try PMing OldFishLady, she's the expert 'round here when it comes to sicknesses. ;)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #12 
inkrealm

@TequilatheBetta
@Zappity

NOO. I saw that thread when it was first beginning and thank God NO not yet :( he is blue though, and I have been terrified of this ever since... if this follows what I'm seeing now :/
I knew the temp was really pushing it.. that's the other thing that has me scared... he hadn't started acting cold though, so I was hoping it was still near 68...
does anyone know if a virus can harm your fish? like I said not directly give it to him obviously, but can it give him other things?
if nothing else I think I'm going to try to get a tub from the pet store tomorrow ASAP and float him....
if I can manage to cup him tomorrow I will take apicture :/ I also try to wrap some towels around the tank for tonight... maybe tomorrow he'll have improved enough to be cupped I hope...

also I'm almost positive I did ask OFL once about choking... but she didn't see much you could do, them being so small... I will PM her again just to make sure though... that could have been someone else...

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? typically in the 60's right now :/ ( I know this needs correcting >.< the other stays in the midd seventies, but I don't know if it fluctuates a lot or not... )
Does your tank have a filter? no ( not this one )
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no ( not this one )
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none ( snail in the other but I haven't introduced them yet )

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets, Aqueon
How often do you feed your betta fish? two in the morning, two at night ( but I don't know if my dad has been sneaking him food... he won't take me seriously about anything with the Betta, he thinks I'm being silly.. )

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? one-twice a week, 50% or more at each, but 50% or more once a day since the finrot he got while we were away.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% or more.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? just Prime.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: just changed the water so it can't be this. :/
Nitrite: x
Nitrate: x
pH: x
Hardness: x
Alkalinity: x
this water is from the same source the larger tank's water comes from though so these should all be normal and fine :/

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? drained coloring, not paler or darker per say, just drained looking. :/ used to have a silver patch under the head where most bettas do, but it's spread all down his belly and around the head... he has a horrible stress streak and his eyes look really freaked out :/ I think his belly looks swollen too, but maybe it's a tumor?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hiding behind his cup; the one time I saw him out he was freaking out in the back, moving in a hyperactive sortof way, fins really fast lots of darting... he did this for a bit, then he gave a HUGE start, shot around I guess because I remember getting a really good upclose look at him, sortof "bumped" against the ground, like a drifting manner like he didn't quite have control... :/ then shoved himself behind the cup... he's cramped up behind it in the corner and I can't see anything but his reflection... he wasn't moving but after I added the warmer water his fins were moving really fast... he still won't come out though...
When did you start noticing the symptoms? he was looking really great today, then all of a sudden this happened, just a couple hours ago... maybe five tops was when my mom fed him, and he started some time between that and when my dad came home maybe three hours ago tops?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? just a 50% or more water change, good warm water and I'm going to try wrapping a towel around the tank...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? mostly he's just torn his fin a lot... even in spotless conditions he's done silly stuff like current surfing, etc... and he pouts when we're gone traveling... but I've never had an issue like this....
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure because he came form the pet store... but we bought him maybe half a year ago? and I'm pretty sure he wasn't a baby... not abnormally small or anything... so probably around a year? I'm not sure how fast they grow....

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-03-2011 at 08:48 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #13 
inkrealm

also does anyone know how long they can go without coming up for air?... I haven't watched him nonstop because I though space might let him chill out... but I don't think he's come up.....
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #14 
inkrealm

put some towels around the tank... I couldn't get a full covering but it's better than nothing... also covered up the half of the opening closest to where things might splash... I'm trying to leave him alone but my dad wanted looked at him while he was fixing his coffee and said ( although I didn't check myself ) that he's turned around facing the opposite direction now.... I'll update in the morning when the sun's up... I'm also going to try and talk them into letting me get an emergency medicine kit and another cup, just so I can have them on hand... any medicine suggestions for the kit?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #15 
Pataflafla

You didn't open any new water conditioners or put any new plants in the tank at all? It might be chemical burns, but I'm doubting it since you said your other tank wasn't affected.

I don't think the viruses that affect humans are simple enough to affect aquatic species (I think it's like a one way deal with specific aquatic viruses that can affect us, but don't quote me on that). I don't think you gave him anything.

For a medication kit, I'd suggest a good anti-parasite medication and medication that covers both spectrum of bacteria (Maracyn 1 and 2 seem to be good for this since you use both to treat dropsy). Aquarium salt and epsom salt for sure too, and possibly some minced garlic or garlic cloves to soak food in for those unwilling to eat or to boost the immune system.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #16 
inkrealm

Pataflafla- no, nothing new unless Prime gets old. but it says on the bottle that worrying sulfur smell is normal >x< nothing I can think of. I'd been trying to keep him healthy while I fixed up his main tank. but the new plants I added to the main tank got black algae, and I read it could get in fishs' lungs and kill them, so I decided to hold off. I tossed the plants and cleaned up the sides, but I wanted to give it another good water change before I added him in. I had to attend parent weekend with my family for my brother first though, and I got the virus while I was up there.

I'm glad I probably didn't give him anything, and maybe I can try cleaning out the main tank... I just know people always lecture you on washing your hands before handling pets or messing with their habitats, including fish, because there are things on your hand that might be harmless to you, but deadly to them, just as the things on them might be harmless to them, but deadly to you. so I didn't wanna risk it :/

I'll be sure to take that list to the store tomorrow, thanks so much <3 <3
do you happen to know the process for garlic-soaked food? like do you just start feeding it to them all the time, or only when sick, or only once a day and not the other feeding, or only once a week, etc.? >.<; I heard it was good for their immune system and I'd been wanting to do that for awhile, but I didn't wanna overdo it or do it wrong or anything.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #17 
Pataflafla

Water conditioner can expire, usually it's time to replace your bottle if its been a year or over (I go through it too quick to ever experience this, though I wish I did).

As far as garlic soaked foods, I don't think there's overdoing it. You could vary it up with different meal times to make your betta more interested in meal time. Just soak whichever food your feeding for 30 seconds to a minute (Long enough for a pellets to soak up some juice and get softer) and then feed. I do warn you that garlic in your tank water will make it smell absolutely rancid.

I fed two new girls like this before adding to the sorority and changed their water every day (divided half gallon for quarantine), but each day that I fed with garlic, the water smelled terrible. It doesn't seem to bother the bettas any, but it'll bother your nose a little.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #18 
inkrealm

Pataflafla-
so just soak it in minced garlic or garlic cloves and then follow those steps?
his tank stays in a window ( that doesn't get any sun ) so we might not smell it, but I could do a water change shortly after perhaps if it were too big a deal ^-^;

also I thought the mystery disease wasn't a possibility, but looking here
this fish's body ( not the fins yet ) is roughly how my boy's looks... so actually by morning or tomorrow it may very well resemble it... however according to this board, Neomycin ( not sure what it is ) for one to two weeks supposedly works, and this boy improved WITHOUT the Neomycin and with the use of Almond Leaves... assuming I could get my hands on some , if he does get this, maybe I can try to treat it... still doesn't look good x: but..
Old 11-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #19 
Pataflafla

It's easiest with minced garlic (no additives) because you can just take a little of the juice to soak the food in. With cloves you have to chop them up and find the right amount of water to soak the chunks in before soaking the food.

Whether it be the mystery disease or something else, clean water is going to be your best ally in this. I know when one of my boys got chemical burns and poisoning I had him on epsom salt and changed his water twice daily for a week (showed major improvement within a few days, but I wanted to be sure).

It's hard to diagnose when the symptoms are almost exactly alike, but since there hasn't been any new addition to his current tank, I think it's safe to say it isn't a chemical problem.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #20 
inkrealm

thanks :3 I'll write that down and start it up; I really appreciate it, I've been trying to get that for ages. it's just a good thing to have for them and future reference in general...

definitely keeping his water clean and changed.... have a class out tomorrow ( or later today ) for school so planning to stop by the pet store on the way home. pick up all the firstaid stuff if I can, or if nothing else then atleast the ones that currently are most likely to apply to him...
like I said, the fins don't match yet... but it would explain the sudden rapidness and silver and alarming suffocated color... I'll also double check the date on the Prime, but I'm sure it can't be anywhere near... I got the larger bottle and pour some into a little bottle that held his old conditioner from when I first got him ( plenty of time ago, not recently ). the little bottle gets opened all the time, but the large bottle is shut and underneath our kitchen sink.
there's just a few hours left before the sun comes up, and I'll try to check out his appearance again once he's had time to wake up and if he comes out.... I mostly don't want to move the cup he's hiding behind because I figure it'll just stress him out more....

so far his behavior and the disease's behavior match the thread to a T... if his fins look ashen in the morning I'm going to bet this is it and get busy trying to find the medicine before it's too late... Do you know the Almond leaves method as well by any chance? and is medicine advice on the package usually right? the only medicine I've ever used for him was AQ salt so I know nothing about serious medicines.....
I appreciate all the help, I know I've had a lot of questions... ^-^;;