Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 03:01 AM   #21 
Pataflafla

The packaging for the medication for the most part is correct. I've never had issues following the directions and it's always seemed to work so long as the fish wasn't too far along.

As for the IAL, I believe it is to let it steep in treated tank water for 30 minutes- 1 hour and to slowly acclimate to the new water chemistry and osmotic change. that water will turn brown with IAL, so don't be alarmed about that. I've never personally used it, but if you look through most of Oldfishlady's posts or ask her, she can tell you for sure what the method is.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #22 
inkrealm

thanks, I might try bugging her for it... ^-^;
and thanks for the confirmation, I wanted to be sure it wouldn't give me an overdose or anything... XC

as far as updates:
my mom woke up first-- she claims when she came down he was acting totally normal and dancing for food.... when I came down this morning I found him drifting in about the middle of the tank... ( both depth and lengthwise ) I moved over to it really slowly in case he was still jumpy... his color seems to have gotten back towards normal.... he looks flustered and kindof rough, really wilted, but the silver is gone from his body... thank God... I'm going to give him a closer look when I get home from class... when he saw me he didn't dance for food, he just kindof gave me his attention and slowly drifted over to the glass and pressed his face against it and looked at me... I feel kindof like he was appologizing, lol ;-; if nothing else happens and he perks back up, I'm going to guess that as we suspected, he did catch both pellets at once and get one down wrong... crazy stupid boy <3 he looked pretty perplexed like "what the hell just happened mom?" ;u; I'm just so happy to see him looking okayish <3 I'm still heading over to the pet store to get some supplies just in case it's ever needed, and I'm going to pick up some stress coat from API... maybe add a small dose.. might help him a little... I didn't feed him this morning, I'm going to see about this evening, and I think I'm going to start stashing the fish food to be safe... I appreciate the kindmeaning but I just don't want this happening again... :/
thanks so much to all of you who helped me with this board... <3
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #23 
Zappity

Glad he's doing better :) Try feeding him 1 pellet at a time so he doesn't choke again. ;]
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #24 
inkrealm

Zappity- yeah, I always only give him one at a time D: my mom dropped them from the cap though and I guess they fell at once and he just jumped :(

he's acting really dazed, but he's staying out in the open so I think it must be an improvement... I bought the Maracyn I and Maracyn II today just to have them on hand if they're ever needed, and I'm going to try to get a few more meds later on. I also got some API Stress Coat+ Conditioner that I figured I might move him to to just for a bit... probably will return to Prime as my regular, but maybe a week or two of this will perk him up some....
either of you guys ever used this? I'm going to make a post for it in one of the general boards to get opinions before I try doing a water change with it. I definitely don't wanna freak him again. I've never seen him act like that EVER. >^<
Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #25 
Pataflafla

Stress coat is very good. I've never personally used it as a conditioner, but I've heard of it being used as such before effectively. I used it for a while when I bought a very sickly crown tail to try and help him out a little bit more and ended up using all of it very quickly because I had a tail biter that I was trying to get healed up as well.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #26 
inkrealm

ahh, so did you just use yours with your regular conditioner?...
also does medicine really remove oxygen from the water? the lady at the pet store told me not to use it without filtration or it would pull the oxygen out and my fish could die. but I don't recall ever reading that and I'm actually fairly sure I read on here NOT to use filtration or it will REMOVE the medicine and ruin its effectiveness >.<;
and lol to the tail biter >^< I always wondered how on earth I'd handle one of those... they sound so difficult ;^;"
Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #27 
Pataflafla

You can still use a filter if you want to, but you'd have to take out the carbon since it would negate the medication for the most part. I've used medication in my divided 10 gallon, and that has no filter. I haven't noticed any difference int he effectiveness of it, and since bettas breathe air for a majority, it wouldn't affect them too much if the medication did take out some oxygen. I know they tend to be sluggish with medication (on top of reaching a point where medication is needed anyways), so lowering the water level and keeping things less stressful makes it a lot easier on them and makes recovery a bit quicker in my opinion. It's like you having a cold, but being constantly active and stressed; you won't get better as quick as if you were relaxed and on bed rest.

I did use stress coat with my regular conditioner and it worked just as well. I did not that it took less time for fin regrowth, but I never used stress coat solely, so I don't know if it would have been faster yet.

Tail biters aren't too much more work, it's just disappointing to see their finnage go from beautiful to ragged (A little easier when it's a crown tail like one of my biters). Just gotta keep up on water changes and find out the cause of the tail biting.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #28 
inkrealm

Pataflafla- hmm... maybe I'll try that... mixing conditioners shouldn't hurt anything should it? yeah, I'd treat him in a hospital tank or his cup ( I got one today while I was at the store, though it needs washing XC )
I just seems like tailbiting would open them up to more diseases... maybe not so long as you kept water healthy though...
and Prime has no expiration date listed. XC
Old 11-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #29 
Pataflafla

Well, if you've had it for almost a year, I'd still look into a new bottle of Prime then. I don't know how long the chemicals in it can last, but at some point they'll become ineffective.

And mixing Prime and stress coat is perfectly fine.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #30 
inkrealm

Pataflafla- well I got my fish in May... and I used AquaSafe or Tetra or one of those untill it ran out... then went to Prime. so that was probably at least a month... so I'd say unless it was already old, it isn't a year... and it certainly hasn't been open for a year.... I will keep that in mind though, thanks. ^-^; and alright, I'll mix them then... it's super appreciated. ^-^ would you suggest the year rule with Stress Coat+ as well even though it has an expiration date? it's not till like 2014 x.x;;; so I dunno if it lasts that long when open or not..
also do you mix yours in before adding water during a water change, or do you just add it into the tank directly?

and sorry, I think those were my last questions honest ;u;"

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-04-2011 at 04:31 PM.