Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #1 
valleyankee

Changing the water, catching the fish.

I just have to say...... I find the 100% water changing experience both stressful for me and for Flushy.

Is there an easy way to get him out of the tank? He runs from the net and refuses to be scooped up in a cup. He hates the net. I find it funny that I can stick my whole hand in there without him fussing but when the net goes in he becomes impossible.

My biggest difficulty is cleaning all this in the office. What a mess.

When I was done today, Flushy flared at me then flipped me the fin!
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #2 
nel3

i usually need a bit of patience to catch my betta in a cup. i find keeping the cup beside them to block escape paths does work. what im trying to say is that if the betta knows they cant escape in the end then i might be a bit easier to let them go inby themselves.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #3 
Gen2387

I don't really have that problem. I have a 5 gallon and I have to take Admiral out of the tank during water change because he HATES when my hands are in the tank and when I move things around and he's there. But whenever I open the top of the tank he comes right at the surface and goes in the cup by himself... I think he's a little weird.

Anyway... you could try using a little treat and go with a cup instead of the net. I don't like nets even if the material is soft, I'm always afraid of hurting the fish or ripping the fins. When you go with a cup, it's easier because it makes a kind of current when you put it in the water and the fish ispulled inside the cup. I don't know if you follow... Idon't know exactly how to explain it. Lol! Bottom line, I like cups better I think they're easier to use but that might be because my fish always comes to the surface....

Good luck!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #4 
shinsolo

I just ran into this same problem... x.x Did a complete water change not even 15 minutes ago, was actually getting on here to fuss about the same thing!!! Took me 30 minutes to catch Rudolphus and then I felt SOOO bad putting him back in his little pet store cup he came in while I cleaned his room. He's soo pissed off at me. I'm letting the water get ready for him now before I put him back in and hes in his little cup looking at me and all flarred and glaring x.x I swear if that fish could talk human words I'd be getting cussed out right about now. I just feel like its sooo stressful for the poor guy!! This is only my first full change though. He's a new fish! I bought him not even 3 days ago, maybe 4? I think 3... And I've had a few tank/filter/etc problems too.. so I've been in his tank every single day, sometimes several times a day.. I think he's already sick of me! I feel like such a bad fish mommy! But hey, at least I care enough to keep checking on him, right?
shinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #5 
shinsolo

Btw, I tried the treat in a cup thing... He ran in, grabbed the treat, and ran out so fast I couldn't even right the cup in time >.> Maybe TWO treats next time!! Then maybe he'll think he's going to lose them or grab them both at once and I'll have time to pull up in the confusion.
shinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #6 
valleyankee

I always give him a few pellets when he goes "in the cup". I figure he will forgive me for a pellet.
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyankee View Post
My biggest difficulty is cleaning all this in the office. What a mess.

When I was done today, Flushy flared at me then flipped me the fin!
LOL what a character you've got there .. maybe try just use the cup to get out some of his water .. and when he get's curious as to what ur doing u can catch him off guard and scoop him up in the cup =D ... if anything .. less water would make it easier for you to catch him
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #8 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyankee View Post
I always give him a few pellets when he goes "in the cup". I figure he will forgive me for a pellet.
i do this too! haha i don't like to drop a pellet in little red's tank then scoop him when he's eating because i don't want him to think that every time i give him food i'll cup him. i cup him first then give him a pellet. i think he's starting to learn that being in a cup for about 30 minutes won't kill him. haha and it also deters him from tail biting in the cup.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #9 
Zappity

I just put the cup down in the water, wait for him to swim over it, then pull it out, and ta-da! instant cupping xD
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #10 
HatsuneMiku

after a while my bettas have been trained .. when i put the cup near the surface they swim up and just go in .. lol it took a few months for them to go willingly ... but they all know how .. cup = go in .. and new water yay!!
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote