Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #1 
theKingHenry

I feel frustrated and stupid. Newbie. :|

And completely mad at myself. I'm clearing a failure. Of course, I have so many problems.

Sooo got a betta, he's adorable, I already love him, his name is King Henry I.

I got the tank, cleaned, conditioned, decorated it, made sure the water temp was right.

Soooo the heater and the filter are really frustrating me. I have the heater set in there at an angle on the side of the tank about in the middle. It's plugged in but I'm not sure if it's working or not. I mean, the temp fluctuates from 76 to 78 to 80. It's one of those heaters that automatically sets the temp in the tank, too. So any advice on how to tell if that's working?

And with the filter, I FINALLY got it to work (the Impeller wasn't shoved down the filter enough, I guess.) So it's sucking it in the tube and pouring it out the spout thing (I forgot the parts' names. xD). But the spout thing is about 1 inch and a half above the water surface and the water flow is "hitting" the surface of the water. Is this normal? I don't want to stress Henry out because I want him to be as happy and safe as possible or I won't be able to sleep.

SORRY, like really, really sorry about rambling and dragging this out. I'm a problem child. Haha.
theKingHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

You are not stupid, nor are you a failure! These are perfectly normal problems that newbies and experienced people go through! The temperature can fluctuate a little without any problems, as long as it's not much higher than 80 and not much lower than I'd say about 75. Just keep an eye on your thermometer, if you see any major fluctuations then there could be something wrong with the heater. If the filter is giving you trouble, you can always remove it. Bettas don't absolutely have to have filters, unless you have a big cycled tank. I'm pretty sure it's normal for the water to sort of hit the surface (kinda like a water fall?).
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #3 
theKingHenry

Yeah, waterfall describes it pretty well. Thank you! This seriously helped me relax. Haha. And now that the filter is actually functioning properly, little Henry's too scared to go to that side of the tank and flare at his reflection by the filter. xD And btw, I have a 5 gallon. Even with the filter, I'll be doing 50% changes one week and then 100% the next week and so on so forth. I have that Tetra 5 gallon tank with the hood, light and filter. Sorry to ramble... again. Thank you, though!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #4 
Gen2387

I wouldn't do a 100% water change with a filtered 5gal. It's going to mess up the good bacteria you have inside the tank and you're going to have to start the cycling over. I have a 5gal filtered and heated tank and I do a 25% and a 50% with gravel vaccum every week. It's plenty enough.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

If you are filtering, do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
There is a sticky on it someplace if you don't
I didn't at first and lost a few fish that way
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Is there any way to raise the water level so the water does not hit the surface of the water too hard? I do that with a covered tank I have for Spartan so he does not have to fight against much of a current.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #7 
theKingHenry

Okay update. So Henry got used to it and isn't as scared of it. Haha. He swims around it and the 'current' it's making perfectly fine so I'm guessing I don't need to do anything about it. I do know about the cycle, but I was told to go between 5-100% each week. But 25-50% sounds like a good idea(: Thanks guys!