Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #1 
Cashay

Betta Fish

I just got a male Betta about three days ago, I really don't know anything about them at all except from what I have been reading up on, I know the males will make a bubble nest when they are ready to mate with the female, But what if they are in the tank by themselves, and he has this mass of bubbles at the top of the tank. What does that mean?
Cashay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #2 
GregV

my old betta would do this all the time, hehe hes probably just looking for something to do while your gone

its the same thing as if there is a female around, hes just going through his mating cycle i think (though dont quote me on this as im not exactly sure)

eitherway not hamful to your fish.
GregV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #3 
Cashay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV
my old betta would do this all the time, hehe hes probably just looking for something to do while your gone

its the same thing as if there is a female around, hes just going through his mating cycle i think (though dont quote me on this as im not exactly sure)

eitherway not hamful to your fish.

Thanks, Do they normally just lay on the bottom of the tank most of the day? he gets all flared up when I put a mirror in front of him but then , he just sits there, doesn't move around much... well I cant say that either because he did when i first got him, but this morning I changed his water and he seems like he is in shock.... Do you think he will get better?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #4 
GregV

is he in a bowl? assuming you are keeping him in a small bowl, how did you clean/change the water?

contrary to what most people who purchase bettas beleave, bettas dont just sit around doing nothign all day, he could very well be stressed from the water change, especailly if the water tempature was very different.

he should recover, but maybe a differnt method of doing changes for the betta may help. such as doing maybe 50% of the water instead of 100%?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #5 
bettababy

Watch the temp of the water, if they get too cold they tend to get lethargic. Also, as was said already, water quality is also an issue, they have to be kept clean. Bettas can get bored if the bowl or tank is bare, so adding some kind of decoration is always suggested. Bettas tend to be very social and interactive fish if you spend the time to play with them and they are healthy. The bubble nest is a good sign, it means they are happy and healthy enough to breed. If you need care tips or other help, let us know... I've been keeping & breeding bettas for almost 10 yrs now, they're one of my favorite fish.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #6 
Cashay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV
is he in a bowl? assuming you are keeping him in a small bowl, how did you clean/change the water?

contrary to what most people who purchase bettas beleave, bettas dont just sit around doing nothign all day, he could very well be stressed from the water change, especailly if the water tempature was very different.

he should recover, but maybe a differnt method of doing changes for the betta may help. such as doing maybe 50% of the water instead of 100%?
That's what I was afraid of, I have him in (sorta a bowl) vase that is 6 1/2 by 10/1/2 half full of water, no plants fake or real and marbles on the bottom, I did get the water a little warmer then first time. after reading they like water from 75-80 degree's first time I used distilled water people were laughing at me.. said I could use regular tap water, so I did.
But you are saying he will come back huh? he just looks sad and pitiful right now....
Old 10-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #7 
Cashay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababy
Watch the temp of the water, if they get too cold they tend to get lethargic. Also, as was said already, water quality is also an issue, they have to be kept clean. Bettas can get bored if the bowl or tank is bare, so adding some kind of decoration is always suggested. Bettas tend to be very social and interactive fish if you spend the time to play with them and they are healthy. The bubble nest is a good sign, it means they are happy and healthy enough to breed. If you need care tips or other help, let us know... I've been keeping & breeding bettas for almost 10 yrs now, they're one of my favorite fish.
Thank you, they sure are pretty fish, I just don't want to do any thing wrong to him so I maybe asking alot of questions until I can get experience with him... I have big flat marbles at the bottom of his tank, But I was afraid to put any fake plants thinking it may cut up his fins, the bowl isn't very big.. He sits on my desk at work staring at me...heh heh But I got these little bulbs that grow into live plants with in a few weeks, thought I would see how that worked...
Old 10-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #8 
bettababy

Try some silk plants. If he's on a desk in an office, watch the temps at night. A lot of office buildings turn off heat/air conditioning during "off hours". The temp fluctuations can be very harmful. If you find this to be a problem, try to fit a 5 gallon aquarium on the desk instead of the bowl, and insert a heater. Your fish will appreciate the added space. Or, if 5 is too big, try 2 1/2 gallon mini bow, that's what they were designed for. Hydor makes a heater that works great in those little tanks, it looks like a heating pad. If you need one, let me know and I'll try to find you a link for it online.

The key is to make sure he's kept warm, over 70 and below 90, and has decorations to play with, stays clean and well fed. (careful not to overfeed... 3 - 5 pellets every other day is the best/healthiest schedule I've found yet for an office bowl/tank). You have options... the silk plants are probably your best bet, unless the bowl is getting some kind of direct light for part of the day. The bulbs need light to grow, and ceiling lighting in a room is not enough. Watch that the bulbs don't rot and pollute the water, in a bowl that happens quickly. Silk is weighted at the bottom to keep it in place, looks real, easy to clean, sturdy, and won't harm your fish. The thicker the plant the better it will be for him to play in, but be sure it doesn't block too much of the surface. The betta needs to be able to get to the surface to breathe.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #9 
GregV

alot of children get bettas, they are probably one of the more sold/most demanded tropical fish, and children tend to not be able to take care of them very well conserning the water changes and termperature, but considering where bettas naturally come from (stagnaint swampy regions) a betta will pull through.

Tap water, untreated is not the best thing for a betta, destilled, or tap water with a declhorinator in it is your best bet.

As for the vase, try a few live aquatic plants like java moss, or similar low light plant that will grow without much care, he will really thank you.

another option, probably one of the better options, would be to upgrade the vase to a betta hex, this will really help the little guy out, and you can probably find a decent 5 gal hex with light and filter included for $20-30. this will keep your water just right for the little guy.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #10 
bettababy

You don't want to use distilled water. If you want to use bottled water, stick to spring water or drinking water, but distilled water is a no no. The distilling process removes a lot of good mineral content that a fish needs to survive.