Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Green tea?

No, not the member haha

Who here uses Green Tea for their tanks? Give some pointers? I ran out of IAL, I find the color of the water helps relax my sorority but I have green tea here. What the best way to make a solution? Boil it like tea, cool and add? Put a bag right in the tank? It's $3 for 24 bags so whatever is most cost efficient would be good. I have plans to order IAL from Amy but need to wait for funds to clear to paypal.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I've used boiled water, let the tea steep, and let it cool to tank temp before acclimating to it, but with that method I've never gotten good results.

I've placed the tea bag in the water of my 1.5 gal when Ratchet was still in there for maybe 15 minutes to turn the water slightly yellow and he didn't react to it at all. So I think this may be the best way for decaf green tea.

I honestly don't prefer using it (even if it makes the tank water smell nice) simply because my ratio for uses with it successfully are 1/3. I know the 2/3 that failed were already with very ill fish, but death never occurred until after I used it, so I'm still skeptical on it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #3 
Myates

I've let it seep into the tank, 1 bag per gallon, for about 15-20 minutes. My fish have had no ill effects from it. I say just let it seep in the tank, as the fish will slowly acclimate to it while it slowly seeps into the tank. Sadly, it doesn't really have the same properties as oak leaves or IAL, but it does tint the water slightly green. Not as deep and dark as IAL, just slightly.
I've only used it on healthy fish, so I am basing it off of that, rather then ones I am trying to heal.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

My IAL never tinted the water very well, just slightly. Hrmmm. I can't find oak leaves as I currently can't get out of the house. I guess I'll have to wait! The girls are some upset.

I guess Hubby is getting more green tea, he loves the non decaf stuff.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote