Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #1 
shinsolo

My fish is... lazy?

Hey everyone!! Just got my very first beta!! His name is Rudolphus the fishy and he's a red delta tail. I'm just not sure if hes behaving normally?? (seriously only got him home tonight). He's been in his new tank for about an hour and has yet to leave this one little corner of his tank. I bought him a pretty big tank too, so he could have plenty of room to swim, and he's yet to... idk... swim? Does he just need some more time? Or could the filter bubbles be bothering him? (I read in the beta book they gave me at the pet store that they sometimes don't like moving water, but the pump isn't moving the water extremely so... I don't think at least). Or (this might sound really stupid) could the dinosaur I put in his tank for decoration be scaring him? I never would have thought the fish would be scared, but I mean... it's worth throwing out there as a suggestion I suppose...

A picture of Rudolphus' tank and the corner he's been hanging out in.

I am really excited about getting him. I've wanted one since I was a little kid. i really really want everything to work out with him. He's amazing and I love him already.
shinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

He might be a little scared, there's a lot of open space there. :) Some more plants(silk or real) to ocupy space might make him feel more comfortable!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #3 
shinsolo

sorry that picture is so huge... I uploaded it from my phone and it looked tiny until it was posted!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #4 
shinsolo

ohhh more plants!! I can do that : ) I didn't put too many cause I didn't want him to feel crowded haha but I'll see what I can find at the petstore to sort of fill up that space : ) Thank you so much for that suggestion!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

LOL!
Well, how did you aclimate him to his new home??
Did you add water conditioner to his tank?
I don't see a heater in your tank so he might be lethargic.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #6 
shinsolo

yes, i remembered the water conditioner, and he soaked in his bag in the tank for an hour or two before i let him finally swim free. I don't have a seperate heater, but the box said the lightbulb was designed to heat as well? I'm not really sure how well that's working at the moment though. I think tomorrow I'm going to pay petco another visit. theres so many things i wish the people there had told me! a thermometer and some more plants are a must and maybe even something to keep the little dude warm as well. *makes a list*
Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #7 
GreenTea

He actually looks like a double tail not a delta tail. Nice Dino ;]
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #8 
shinsolo

Oh I just know what the sticker onthe little cup said when I bought him haha I turned the filter off and he seems to be swimming a little more now ... I wish I could come up with an idea for making the pump not so hard on him. I have been trying to play with ways to baffle it or what not, but so far nothings really working for the way the thing is shaped. What if I raised the water level to higher than the top of the bubble spout?? I know that wouldn't stop the water from moving completely though... Guess I could just limit his filter time >.> then again, maybe i'm just being an over protective fish mommy. the petstore guy told me he shouldn't have any problems with the filter... then again he also said i didnt have to heat the fish when i asked too so perhaps hes not the best person to be selling fish to first time fish owners.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #9 
shinsolo

actually just read about putting sponges at where the water comes out!!! *will be going to buy sponges tomorrow as well*
Old 11-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #10 
Larkspur

yeah, petstores are not the most knolageable on bettas...
He looks really good!
I have had success with using floating plants to stop the filter from making so much water movement
but a sponge would probably work better I just personally hate how that looks XD but I'm picky!

Last edited by Larkspur; 11-02-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: post was stretched
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote