Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #1 
PSUPride923

Question Filter Problems

Hello All,

I just purchased a 10 gallon starter kit for my baby betta Triton. I believe the filter is too strong for him because he is staying near the bottom while the filter is on. I turned the filter off and he is swimming all around. Now he is flaring at the filter and like "slapping" himself at the glass.

Problem:
1) How do i make the filter "weaker" so my betta can still swim in his now very spacious home

2) How do i get him to stop flaring? Is that a normal reaction since he was previously in a tank that didn't have a filter in it?

ps] he flared at the thermometer as well...
PSUPride923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

You can baffle the filter with an aquarium sponge. Do not use just any sponge, you need to use one that normally goes in a filter. I use the Hagen Aquaclear sponges. Just use a rubber ban or zip tie to hold it in place.

Your boy is just one of those aggressive, manly types! As long as he isn't hurting himself he should be fine, but maybe turn off the lights for a little while.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #3 
PSUPride923

PetCo didn't have the sponge you recommended so I got a "Biological Filter Pad" will this work or what? They didn't have anything else like that.. Where do you usually buy your sponge at?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #4 
pyro fiend

also u can use the baffle technique with a bottle. mine i divert strait to one side [the glass]with a un level bottle. [find the sticky its simple to do] also the little black thing on the filter tube that sucks in the water. turning that tab increases/decreases water intake. it doesnt do as many cycles per hr lke it should but its much bettr then nothing.
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

That is odd. I thought they were pretty standard. Most have multiple sizes since they are so common.

http://www.petco.com/product/107996/...:referralID=NA

Whatever you got should work though. It is safe to put in an aquarium, that is the important thing. :)

Be careful with the bottle technique. The fish can get cut by sharp plastic edges or just stuck between the bottle and the filter. Hence why I tend to recommend the sponge.

The other benefit to the sponge is that it provides a little more space for good bacteria to grow!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #6 
pyro fiend

thn x 4 addin tht on the bottle thinkg kyt atm i keep my water level kinda low so i dont make as much current and keep a good heat [to high in this tank it gets cold to low its to hot] but i also filed down all edges ans melted them with a lighter so there all rounded [filed last] :) only way a fish will get in my bottle baffle is if he can swim realy fast against a downward force. my 2 goldies i got it with now they try to swim up it and epicly fail =[
Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #7 
PSUPride923

Thank you so much for sending a picture for what I am looking for. that is cheaper than what I purchased so I will return tomorrow! Gotta save in whatever area you can I guess!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #8 
pyro fiend

good luck with your tank pride hope you and your fishie friend have a long happy life together with no illnesses ^.^
Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #9 
PSUPride923

since we are talking about filters... the starter kit i purchased (Aqua Culture 10 Gallon Starter Kit) comes with a filter. Now that we got the baffling part taken care of, I'm worried about the "sucking" speed, for lack of correct terminology, is too much. Like how strong should it be "sucking," and is there a way I can turn it down if it is too much. The filter that came with the tank is the Aqua-Tech Power Filter Model 5-15. If any one needs to see a picture, please, just let me know!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #10 
pyro fiend

i actualy find that funny u have those as i just bought 2 and put them in my other tank so i can cycle my other tank bettr [no bacteria= hella long time to make it] this modle doesnt have a way to slow the suction sadly=[ you can always put some kind of sponge on it to make sure it dont get your betta trapped in the intake. iv seen it done many times. but im not sure how well it works. i dont think they suck too much. but they seem to make quite a mess with low water levels and unbaffled -.- splashing everywere... but no theres no way with this filter itself to slow the suction down =[