Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #21 
Bambi

generally between $15 and $25 for the fish itself and then shipping cost. I don't know what the sipping is like over there, you can ask the transshipper though.

Alot of people buy more then one fish at a time so they can be shipped inthe same box and make the shipping worth it.

$30 express shipping seems like alot, but when you have 6 fish it's only $5 a fish and make it more worth while.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #22 
Gloria

So I have been thinking. If I buy a Dragon sclae HM Male, I can breed him to my CT female?! Would it be a good idea to get more than 1 male? also would it be a good idea to get another girl? If so, what sort?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:07 AM   #23 
Bambi

Yes a dragon HM male can breed to your CT female. You said you also own a CT male, yes? The getting a HM female to breed to him would be nice. Then you would have two unrelated partial dragon combtail lines you could breed together for the CT finnage without losing anything genetically that you want and avoiding inbreeding.
^^
For the female if you bought one i would get a HM or HMPK, either way you would get long fined fry and this lets you have more color options so you can find one that matches your boy or shows colors that you want.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #24 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@Gloria: What is your main goal? Are you willing to house several fin types? Are you willing to house about 10 - 20 bettas (minimum)?

If the answer to questions 2 and 3 are no, then get yourself a drg CT. If you crossbreed HM to CT you will have to selectively inbreed and IMO you will need to try a few pairs..... which means more and more bettas. You will know the end results after 4 months (6 months you will know if you have an actual CT with equal web reduction)- meaning you have to keep all of the above that long.

Sorry to sound so negative but I don't want you to get over your head .... like me ... lol. It can be very time consuming and quite expensive if you don't culture your own food. So set a specific goal before you decide what to do/buy. Though shipping is expensive, yet if you're not ready for months and even years of breeding, shipping will seem very cheap. ..... think about it before you decide.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #25 
Gloria

Thanx Bambi and Indjo..
My main goal is to get Dragon CT with good fins and good dragon scales... Im not sure on colour just yet, I think some mix would be nice.. The only way I can get a Dragon CT is to get one off AB and so I am checking it daily to see if they have any. I am wanting to do this next year but will be working part-time rather than casual. I can't really house 20+ Bettas as well as fry. I don't have enough rough (am sharing house with family members)...

So is my best bet to jsut keep looking for a Dragon CT?! sigh :(
Old 11-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #26 
Gloria

So I have been thinkning about it alot lately and I need to decide what I am doing as I need to get organised and save $ etc etc..
Is the best option for me to find a Dragon CT as I am unable to hold a thousand Bettas in my place?
I was wondering if anyone on here happened to have a Dragon CT or had a picture of one at least that I could have a look at. I just want to see one first to make sure it is what I want to bred for.. I have recently fallen in love with Halfmoons, so I am not sure now if I wanna bred Dragon CTs or Dragon Halfmoons.. Which is more rare? Dragon CT? SIGH!! I need some advice.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #27 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO the dragon scale is getting more common - breeders are constantly cross breeding them and creating new dragons - whatever fin type. What dragon color do you prefer?

But IMO drgn CT is more rare than HM's because CT's are harder to maintain in general thus more people keep HM than CT...... incl. me.

Before you jump into a breeding project that may take several generations of breeding, try keeping the ones you have for the rest of this year and see if you can maintain their fins.

TBH, I can never care for CT's properly and their fins would always get messy. HM's are easier to maintain than CT's. And PK's are even more easier...... your choice
Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #28 
Gloria

Yeah I LOVE the look of the Dragon scale.. Um Im not sure, i have only ever scene white and I saw a baby blue in pictures. What other coloured scales are there? How do you get different coloured scales?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #29 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The dragon is supposed to have thick looking whitish/silver scales. The name is determined by the fin color. So red dragons are those that have white bodies and red fins...... and so on. There are all sorts of dragons - black, yellow, orange, and the non true dragons like blue and green.

The blue/green dragon you see are not true dragons. Because their bodies aren't white/silver. A true blue dragon is very rare.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #30 
Gloria

I am not too sure of what colour I would like.. But I have told I am only allowed to get 1 more Betta :( So I have to be VERY careful when I choose.. hmm..

What does full mask mean?