Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #1 
Carribiangirl559

Unhappy Sick betta..... Help

My little Timothy is in trouble. He was bloated earlier this week and my boyfriend held off on the food and the bloating has gone down and he seems a lot better. Currently he seems inactive and his eyes look a little bigger and foggy (his scales aren't flared out). His color is lighter and he isn't playing with his neighbor al (our other betta that looked at tim for company. He also seems to be hanging out next to his heater (his water is the same temp as out other betta's tank). Any help would be appreciated. I tried to get a photo, but my camera isn't that good.
Carribiangirl559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 
Carribiangirl559

photo

Attached is the best photo I could get.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #3 
inkrealm

may I ask what size the tank is? ^-^;
also if his eyes seem to be getting bigger and foggy it may be popeye... have you added in any aquarium salt? I think that should help.... I'm fairly sure popeye is an infection caused by bacteria, similar to fin rot...
how often do you change his water, what percent, and how ( ie do you remove him, do you let him stay in, etc. )
you said it's heated so I'm guessing it stays in the upper seventies? ^-^ he looks pretty okay color wise right now at least... though I do think ( from the picture at least ) his eyes look a little unhappy....
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

I would worry more about any swelling before the cloudiness. Clean water will generally take care of cloudiness over time, but it wont always take care of swelling.

I'd start on 1 tsp/gal of Epsom salt for the swelling and change his water 100% daily (If you got him in a betta cup, you can use that for quarantine and float him in his regular tank for warmth).

How often have you been changing the main tank's water weekly?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #5 
Carribiangirl559

We keep him in a 2.5 gallon tank... And we do half water changes once a week and a full water change every 3.... Since it's 2.5 gallons we keep them in their tanks during the water changes (except for the full water change for obvious reasons). We haven't added any salt yet, but were thinking about it. We keep our tanks at around 78*f.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Good temp, but you might want to up your changes per week.

If it's not filtered, try out 1 50% and 1 100% weekly to see if overall health condition improves any. This boy may just be a little more sensitive to water quality than others are. It happens.

Cloudy eye is usually a sign of water quality issue if it isn't a very serious case (In my experience at least). Slight clouding might mean the water is more than they can handle or there is something irritating in the water.

Clean, warm water, good food, and maybe some Epsom salt is your best bet for the swelling and cloudiness, in my opinion.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #7 
Carribiangirl559

I'm worried about adding Epsom salt because we did that treatment for our last betta and he was gone the next morning.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

Was your epsom salt just plain, no added scents or colors? It needs to be just plain epsom salt.

How much did you use as well? Generally, its safest to use only between 1-3 teaspoons per gallon of tank water your betta will be in, as well as having mixed the salt in treated tank water before exposing your betta to it.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #9 
Carribiangirl559

It was plain salt and we added 1tsp for the gallon he was in (his hospital tank)
Old 11-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

What was his condition beforehand to the epsom salt? Sometimes if they're already an extreme case, it's too late to do anything.

If it's any reasurrance to you, epsom salt at 1 tsp/gal and clean water (changed twice a day) is what saved my favorite boy from chemical poisoning and burns. It helped to draw out the toxins and the frequent water changes helped to keep him from reabsorbing them.

If you're still very hesitant, try just clean, warm water to see if it helps him at all.

Tags
big eyes, sick