Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #1 
CarriePish

Help! Very Sick Betta!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 Degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pinch every 2-3 days.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra BettaSafe water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His lower head and belly have turned a silvery grey color (not cottony). He also has some black looking spots under his scales.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He will not eat and he lays at the bottom of the tank fairly often (sometimes on his side). Occasionally he does swim around.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? This Wednesday ( Nov. 2nd)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I gave him a dose of API BettaFix.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year and three months.

I'm having a lot of trouble identivfying what is wrong with him and I'm terribly worried! He's never been sick before!

Last edited by CarriePish; 11-04-2011 at 11:44 AM.
CarriePish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #2 
inkrealm

what color is your betta?....
also do you make sure all of the flakes are eaten or removed?... maybe two pellets in the morning and two at night would be a more regular, better feeding? I'm not sure about flakes so I don't know if that's a good feeding schedule or not x:
if you leave the flakes in, you probably need ot change the water more often.... maybe someone else can also see a problem I've missed.... mostly I'm curious what color your betta is though....
also~ medicine is generally a last resort just for future reference... it can do more harm then good if not truly needed... and I ( think ) that Bettafix is one of the less advised ones.... don't stress over that though. I just wouldn't use it again unless adviced by someone wellknown on here... he may not even need Bettafix....

prior to the illness, did you notice how your betta reacts to water changes by any chance? I know these can also severely stress some bettas out, while others may not mind it at all...

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-04-2011 at 12:36 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #3 
inkrealm

and could you get pictures by any chance?.... maybe someone else will recognize this as well...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #4 
CarriePish

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrealm View Post
what color is your betta?....
also do you make sure all of the flakes are eaten or removed?... maybe two pellets in the morning and two at night would be a more regular, better feeding? I'm not sure about flakes so I don't know if that's a good feeding schedule or not x:
if you leave the flakes in, you probably need ot change the water more often.... maybe someone else can also see a problem I've missed.... mostly I'm curious what color your betta is though....
also~ medicine is generally a last resort just for future reference... it can do more harm then good if not truly needed... and I ( think ) that Bettafix is one of the less advised ones.... don't stress over that though. I just wouldn't use it again unless adviced by someone wellknown on here... he may not even need Bettafix....

prior to the illness, did you notice how your betta reacts to water changes by any chance? I know these can also severely stress some bettas out, while others may not mind it at all...
My betta is usually a beautiful purple/red color, which makes it even more difficult to diagnose any problems. I would try pellets, but I tried feeding him pellets for the first few weeks I had him but he refused to eat them so I switched to flakes, which he usually readily eats.

Thanks! I realize that but I didn't have much else on me at the time. I actually just went out and purchased a huge carton of Aquarium Salt, hopefully that and daily water changes will help him out.

Prior to him being sick he didn't mind water changes at all.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #5 
CarriePish

This is what he looks like currently (I only have the poor quality camera that is on my phone right now):

http://i39.tinypic.com/oh5njb.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/rbistd.jpg
Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #6 
inkrealm

yikes... :( is the first one a before picture? he looks like he's turned black in the second...
it definitely looks like he's missing a lot of finnage... are you sure it's not finrot?...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #7 
CarriePish

I think it's just the lighting that made him look different, the first picture the light is directly on him, the second it isn't. There's not too much of a drastic change. I was actually thinking that it could be tail rot. He's been clumping his fins together so its hard to see. Not to mention I have not seen any pieces of his fins floating around.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #8 
inkrealm

yeah, my boy has had lots of issues with finrot, and I rarely ever see pieces of his tail floating around... well glad to know he didn't turn black, haha. D: it does look like fin rot to me though. his fins don't look very happy... try doing 50% water changes daily for awhile.... you can do a day or two of AQ salt treatment to help kick it off, but I'd avoid doing any more till you see if the fresh water helps first.... as long as it doesn't get WORSE, I'd try the freshwater method for maybe a week to a week and a half... if you see no improvement then maybe start AQ salt treatment+fresh water.... remember that AQ salt doesn't evaporate, so only add the amount for the amount of water you are replacing, not enough for the whole tank. D:
you also might try some API Stress Coat+ ( a water conditioner ).... I've heard loads of great stuff about it.... he might like it. ^-^

doah. and for ultimate safety of the fish when using salt, mix the salt into the water before you add it to his tank...

also just a side note: some sites will tell you to use salt all the time in small amounts to "keep away bacteria"... please don't do that though D: it will generally lead to the bacteria simply gaining immunity... so basically they will no longer be warded off by the salt, and when you really need the AQ salt to work, it no longer will. :( on top of that it can cause kidney damage and loads of other issues.... so definitely don't do that D:

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-04-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #9 
Myates

Welcome to the forum.. sorry about your little guy.
First a few pointers =)

It may be 78* when you check it during the day, but it may be getting cooler at night. Fluctuations in temps can cause them to become shocky- lethargic and clamped fins, not swimming around. You may want to consider getting a heater, especially if you are in the northern hemisphere and winter is coming up.

You aren't doing enough water changes - for unfiltered tanks less then 5 gals it is highly recommended to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week- as the waste will build up and the chemistry can become dangerous, such as increase in ammonia and nitrates. Dose the tank with a full dose of conditioner for that volume, regardless how much water you replace.

He could also be suffering from ammonia poisoning/burning. If it is ammonia poisoning all you can do is give fresh water and hope he pulls through, as usually it is hard for them to do so.

I would remove him from Bettafix, as the "fixes" tend to have a tree oil in the ingredient that has potential to harm their labyrinth organ.

I can't tell if he has fin rot, his tail looks shorter. But without a picture of it, it's hard to say. Are the edges black and flaking off? Or white and cottony on the tips? If not, then I wouldn't say it is fin rot.. if so then it would be and I would suggest
1tsp of AQ salt + conditioner, 100% daily water changes for no longer then 10 days. Don't use AQ salt with any other medication.
If not, then I wouldn't use it as there is no reason to and rather not put your betta through that since even the salt has potential to harm in the form of kidney failure, among other internal problems if overly exposed.

Right now I would do a 100% water change, dosing the tank with water conditioner. Make sure the water is the same temp (use a thermometer), float his cup in it for 20-30 minutes, every 10 mins or so remove some of the water from the cup and add in tank water- that way he is acclimating to both temp and chemistry of the tank.

It really sounds as if it is water chemistry related. Is that his tank he is in?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #10 
CarriePish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Welcome to the forum.. sorry about your little guy.
First a few pointers =)

It may be 78* when you check it during the day, but it may be getting cooler at night. Fluctuations in temps can cause them to become shocky- lethargic and clamped fins, not swimming around. You may want to consider getting a heater, especially if you are in the northern hemisphere and winter is coming up.

You aren't doing enough water changes - for unfiltered tanks less then 5 gals it is highly recommended to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week- as the waste will build up and the chemistry can become dangerous, such as increase in ammonia and nitrates. Dose the tank with a full dose of conditioner for that volume, regardless how much water you replace.

He could also be suffering from ammonia poisoning/burning. If it is ammonia poisoning all you can do is give fresh water and hope he pulls through, as usually it is hard for them to do so.

I would remove him from Bettafix, as the "fixes" tend to have a tree oil in the ingredient that has potential to harm their labyrinth organ.

I can't tell if he has fin rot, his tail looks shorter. But without a picture of it, it's hard to say. Are the edges black and flaking off? Or white and cottony on the tips? If not, then I wouldn't say it is fin rot.. if so then it would be and I would suggest
1tsp of AQ salt + conditioner, 100% daily water changes for no longer then 10 days. Don't use AQ salt with any other medication.
If not, then I wouldn't use it as there is no reason to and rather not put your betta through that since even the salt has potential to harm in the form of kidney failure, among other internal problems if overly exposed.

Right now I would do a 100% water change, dosing the tank with water conditioner. Make sure the water is the same temp (use a thermometer), float his cup in it for 20-30 minutes, every 10 mins or so remove some of the water from the cup and add in tank water- that way he is acclimating to both temp and chemistry of the tank.

It really sounds as if it is water chemistry related. Is that his tank he is in?
Are there heater for small tanks? Which kind do you recommend?
I didn't realize it. Lately I've been doing daily 100% water changes with AQ Salt and conditioner for the past three days. He seems to be looking better, but he still is hanging out at the bottom of the tank.
I think it is fin rot, but I am also worried about parasites since I can't tell if he is scratching when he is at the bottom of his tank or not.
The tank he is in currently is a 'quarantine' tank. Since I had little idea of what was wrong with him I figured I should put him in a fresh and safe tank, in case anything that got him sick remained on anything in his tank.

Tags
betta, sick, unsure of ilness