Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #1 
Kytkattin

The Bad Thing About Feeding Your Fish in the Same Place

They think whatever your put in that area is food. Even your hand. Even if you are only adjusting a plant. Did I mention I am terrified of bettas? I had one bite me years ago. It literally latched onto my arm and would not let go even when I pulled it out of the water. So today I am trying to get an anubias plant to not float by putting it's roots around a rock, and said anubias plant happens to be right under where Kamehameha (blue fish) is normally fed. At one point I literally lift the plant out of the water and he is laying on one of the leaves, just looking up at me before calmly slipping back into the water and turning around to beg for food. Gah!

I am going to throw it out there that he is too much like my boyfriend. Cocky and overconfident. And did I mention food motivated?
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #2 
valleyankee

Everyone is starting to scare me with this biting stuff. Ever since I got my boy a heater he is extremely aggressive. He jumps for food, flares at me and zooms all around his tank.

I have a clear plastic cover on his vessel and when i hold my hand over it, he continually jumps at it. Maybe he thinks I have food, maybe he wants to bite me.

My fault for feeding him with my hand.

Crowntails are funny. I think that when a half moon flares it looks beautiful, like a big butterfly. When a Crowntail flare it looks threatening, like a big spider or porcupine.

I don't want to get bit.
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

O_O it latched onto your arm?!!!! how did you get it off?!!! my female bites my finger nails all the time, I'm scared now D=
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #4 
valleyankee

I bite my own fingernails.
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

XD well she doesn't bit them off, she just sort of snaps at them a little, especially if i have nail polish on. That little squirt isn't scared of anything X)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #6 
mjoy79

haha! Never had a boy bite me yet. Just my girlies thinking my finger is food :) Doesnt hurt a bit!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

I've been bitten by Ratchet, as well as observed how he treats his toys and krill chunks. If he were the size of anything bigger than a betta, I fear he would do quite a bit of damage with how vicious he attacks things.

My girl Sabino though just likes to look and peck a little bit. She'd much rather have something about the size of her face to try and swallow whole rather than a whole finger.

Mirage is offended by fingers and Starscream hides before I can even get close enough to look at him properly. Moonhsoes doesn't care whether there's a finger in the tank or not, he won't even investigate.

I do dislike that they hang out where I feed them. especially when I provide them with what I hope is an interesting little territory for them. I'm sure they patrol when I'm not watching, but I'd like to see them patrolling just once too.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

I lol'd. Sorry, but the image of him on the plant as you took it out of the water is just too funny. xD
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #9 
Foxell

I'm always cautious when feeding Takeshi. He once latched onto my finger when I went to go feed him [my fault for sticking my finger in the water while it smelled like food] and I pulled my hand out and he didn't let go and he ended up falling onto the desk which caused me to panic but thankfully I though fast and scooped him up and put him back. He's also started jumping when he gets impatient at feeding time. Arghhh he's such a little spitfire.

I've only been bitten by Jango once and that was the first night I took him home. My brother had gotten a betta too and his somehow got over the divider and they started fighting so once again I panicked and just plunged my hand into the water to separate them. I don't blame him for biting me though, he was in the middle of fighting xP He's great now though. I can put my hand in his tank with no problems.

And little innocent Chai has never bitten at all...yet xD
Foxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #10 
EverythingNice55

Aww gee! That's scary! I am scared of bettas too! I dared my friend to stick her finger in the water tank with my betta, and it nipped her a bit. She's SO brave!! I would never do that!!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote