Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #1 
lemonpebbles

Can anyone tell me what my fish caught?

My last betta died a few months ago from what I think was columnaris. He first started showing weird signs like getting small patchy blackish spots around his head and mouth (Which I thought was just coloring because he had some dark blue on him). Then his fins started getting shorter and he showed no other symptoms of being sick so I began to treat him for fin rot with tannins and aquarium salt. After being in his QT cup for a few days he started looking really sick. The edges of his fins started getting bloody and this snottish white looking stuff began to cloud his water (which I shouldv'e known by that time was something worse, but I thought that it was his slime coat). The salt and tannins didn't seem to do too much...Now my new fish (I decided to not reuse any of my old fish supplies, except the food and Seachem Prime) is starting to get the black patches and I'm scared! D: I've looked up columnaris and the pictures and so far I've been told that it starts out with white patches and all the pictures I've seen don't exactly what my previous fish had except for the snottish stuff. So I'm starting to guess maybe he didn't have columnaris? But it's the closest match to any betta diseases I've read about. Does anyone know exactly what my fish might have and how do I fix it?

What size is your tank? 3 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air stone
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? n/a

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? one 50% then one 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small black patches around his head and mouth
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A day or two ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? n/a
lemonpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #2 
Myates

A picture would be helpful to diagnose.. is that your new guy in your avatar? If so, he is a marble, and the black spots could easily be him marbling. A lot of bettas will change colors, and marbles will change patterns, after they are adjusted and happy in their new homes.

As far as other care- I would suggest not doing 100% water changes while using a filter, as you will want to make sure the filter holds all the good bacteria. For a filtered tank that size I would suggest doing 1 50% water change per week, dosing the tank with the full dose of Prime. Siphoning 1-2 times a month is ideal with a small siphon, or stir/dip to get the waste out.
You don't need the air stones, as bettas breathe through a labyrinth organ at the top of the water, the same air we do. You can use it as a bubbler for decoration if your betta likes it though =)

Raising the temp to 78-82 would be idea, as cold water can cause lethargy and slower metabolism. With winter coming (if you're in the northern hemisphere), the temp will drop more and could cause health/wellness problems if it gets too low. You want to keep the temp warm, and steady- fluctuations can be dangerous as well.

The white snottish stuff sounds as if it could of been excess slime coating, which some will produce when trying to ward off some sort of infection, illness.
Other then that, I don't know what it could of been your old and new guy has, I'm sorry. =(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #3 
lemonpebbles

It's actually the marble that was the one that passed and I thought it was color change D: But my new guy is just a plain yellow guy with only one blue streak in his fin so I don't know what's up at all! I'll try raising the temp by moving him to one of the warmer rooms and the bubbler is just for decor. Thanks for the help! :D
Old 11-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #4 
lemonpebbles

Ahhhhh, I cleaned my fish's tank just now and found this! It's super hard to see but it's the best I could get. It's like some poop suspended in this weird whitish slime stuff, theres was a lot of this around.... Can anyone tell me whether I should be concerned?