Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Too much lighting?

So I just went out and bought a 50/50 daylight bulb which is 10w and 10,000k from PetSmart because the only other options for me there were either a 5100k (and my tank light is 5000k) or another one which I've no idea what the kelvins were. I tried asking the people that worked there, but they were obviously stumped as to what I was even talking about -.- So yeah, I also just got an anubias as well as some wisteria. I have a marimo ball sitting in the tank.. I was trying to look for a 6500k range bulb.... but alas... *sigh*... So yeah, is this bulb too much for these plants? I'm assuming they are and I'm definitely going to take them back if that's the case...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #2 
bastage

I am pretty sure 10,000k is normally used for reef's & not plants.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #3 
Micho

10,000k yeah, not really good for your plants.

6500k is what you should be aiming for, if you can't find it at your LPS, go to hardware stores like Home Depot, even Wal-Mart if they have a lighting section, I would suggesting returning the bulbs you have now.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

Thought so.... PetSmart really needs to wise up and work on their lightnig section and educate their employers on that if they're gonna even bother to sell plants -.- I'll take it back tomorrow and see about finding a new light. For now, I suppose I'll just stick my 5000k for now...
Old 11-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

Managed to take the bulb back to Petsmart. Apparently with tax it was a little over $10 >.>;..... Went to Target since Home Depot acted liked they didn't have a very large range of bulbs and I found a perfect light for my tank ^.^ Exactly 6500k that's only 10w. With tax, the bulb was a little over $7.. So good deal, I think ^.^