Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #1 
KirstyTat

Exclamation Bloated?

Hello! I just got a new betta yesterday from the pet store and noticed she looks a little bloated. I have read a little about dropsy, but her scales seem normal. I am just concerned it might be the beginning. She is acting fine (swimming around, looking at me, etc). I fed her last night after I got her and this morning. Could she have eaten too much or does she look okay? I think I might have given her around 5 pellets each time. I know now that might be too much. Thank you for any help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon but I haven't introduced my fish yet. She is still in the cup from the store from yesterday.
What temperature is your tank? I don't know.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air Stone.
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I fed her twice since I got her a little over 24 hours ago.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? N/A yet
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? N/A yet
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Bowl Plus Water conditioner/dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She looks a little bloated.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 9 hours ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just got her.
How old is your fish (approximately)? New from pet store.

Also, I haven't put her in her new 1 gallon tank yet because I am waiting for the water to adjust to room temperature. I keep getting different answers about when and how I should introduce fish into new tanks. I don't want to leave her in the pet store cup too much longer. If anyone has advice on this too I would appreciate it.
Attached Images

KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Congrats on your new fish!
First of all... that's not a female, you got a male in your hands!
He might've eaten too much... if he having bowel movements?
Not feeding for one or two days might do him good.
Go ahead and put him in his new home already! You can do so by removing about 25% of the water in his cup and replacing it with new water from the tank. Do this 4 or 5 times every 2 hours and then remove him from the cup and place him in his new tank. It's best not to pour any of the old water in so you can carefully pour the water in the cup out (being careful not to pour out your fish along) and when close to no water is covering him, drop him in the tank.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #3 
KirstyTat

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Congrats on your new fish!
First of all... that's not a female, you got a male in your hands!
He might've eaten too much... if he having bowel movements?
Not feeding for one or two days might do him good.
Go ahead and put him in his new home already! You can do so by removing about 25% of the water in his cup and replacing it with new water from the tank. Do this 4 or 5 times every 2 hours and then remove him from the cup and place him in his new tank. It's best not to pour any of the old water in so you can carefully pour the water in the cup out (being careful not to pour out your fish along) and when close to no water is covering him, drop him in the tank.
Thank you very much! :) This helps a lot! And thank you also for clarifying on my fish being a male. I was wondering about that too. Haha! I thought he was a male at first but since he is so tiny I figured he might be female. He is a male after all!
I hardly ever see Halfmoon bettas. I need to do more research on betta fish so I won't make embarrassing mistakes like that!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

That's OK! It's hard to tell one thing from the other when you first start... there's a lot to learn!
Some females can have lomnger fins but the giveaway with yours is the long ventrals. You can check out which those are here: http://www.bettasrus.net/bcorner/tails/index.htm
Your kiddo is not a HM, he looks more like a delta but time will tell. He might be a youngster who needs a little time to develop.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #5 
KirstyTat

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
That's OK! It's hard to tell one thing from the other when you first start... there's a lot to learn!
Some females can have lomnger fins but the giveaway with yours is the long ventrals. You can check out which those are here: http://www.bettasrus.net/bcorner/tails/index.htm
Your kiddo is not a HM, he looks more like a delta but time will tell. He might be a youngster who needs a little time to develop.

So he might be a delta! :) The container he came in said Half Moon. The pet store needs to fix that so their customers don't get confused! I'll keep an eye on him to see if he develops more. He is pretty small still. I put him in his new tank last night. He seems pretty happy and he also doesn't look bloated anymore. Thank you again!
Attached Images

Tags
bloated betta female