Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #1 
FishCC

What do you think?

To get the gravel out of my tank I poured them into a plastic container I found in the kitchen. I didn't rinse it out first.
Before I put the gravel back in the tank I rinsed them off, but am afraid the container I poured the gravel in before this may have added soap residue to the rocks from being washed previously. Is this possible? Should I be worried? I know we aren't supposed to use soap to clean fish tanks, but how much soap could harm a fish? Should I just throw the gravel out or is it really that big of a deal?
FishCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Just use some white vinegar, I don't remember how much, but I expect it is 1 part vinegar, 10 parts water or something like that. That will take care of any potential soap problems!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #3 
Myates

Is the gravel already in the tank with the fish? And if so, how long has it been in there, and have you noticed any changes in your fish?

If you haven't noticed any changes, then you probably are fine.

If you haven't added in your fish yet, then I would do either what was mentioned above, or rinse over and over with very hot water.

Even a small bit of soap can be deadly for them, so it is something to be very careful about and watch closely.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #4 
FishCC

Thank you! I decided to replace the rocks because didn't want to take the risk.
FishCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #5 
lexiloo52

Good choice. Gravel is pretty inexpensive. To those more experienced fishers, how often do you change the gravel in your tanks?
lexiloo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiloo52 View Post
Good choice. Gravel is pretty inexpensive. To those more experienced fishers, how often do you change the gravel in your tanks?
Never. It is good until I tear down the tank, and can be reused for the next tank. On that note, I don't use painted gravel. That can end up looking pretty ugly after either a couple of years or even a couple of months depending on how many water changes you have to do/how small the tank is. They tend to rub together and then the paint rubs off of them.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

+1. The only time I would change gravel is when I want to change substrate entirely, such as when I switched from gravel to sand. In a cycled tank, it is a good home for beneficial bacteria and taking it out can cause a mini-cycle.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote