Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #11 
EverythingNice55

You sound like a very good fish owner. You shouldn't have any problems. Remember to rinse and clean the decorations daily. And a good ol' tank clean is good too. If there are any problems, you know where to go! ;)

Good luck!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #12 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingNice55 View Post
You sound like a very good fish owner. You shouldn't have any problems. Remember to rinse and clean the decorations daily. And a good ol' tank clean is good too. If there are any problems, you know where to go! ;)

Good luck!
You don't need to clean the decorations daily.. just whenever you do large water changes is enough.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #13 
Myates

Editing as this has already been reported earlier and no need to continue. We're here to help, not pick on others who disagree with another's choices.

Last edited by Myates; 11-05-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #14 
Memphis

Odd. I swore I replied back.

Anyways, I only wash the decorations when I do a full water change with hot water. Same with gravel in a fine mesh colander under hot water.

Now, I getting confused with all these mix response, so let me back track and just say yes or no so some of this info can get clarified for me to write down.

NO to ghost shrimp for a non filtered tank or a small tank that has decorations.

NO need for testing kits since I do water changes twice a week (50% mid, and full at the end of the week)

15w heater for my size bowl.

Java Fern, Java Moss, Naja Grass great for small tanks that requires little light, but you need to anchor them down.

Someone suggested an Anacharis plant. I read they can grow up to 2 inches. Are they suitable for a 1g fish bowl?

Rocks is fine as long there is no pesticides etc. Let them soak about 5 days. Thank you for the info. I have a rock garden out front that has nice size river rocks that would would go nice in my fish bowl. One small one of course. We don't use pesticides, so the rocks should be fine.

I think that sums it up. Now my questions related to the info above.

With 2 water changes a week. Should I bother with live plants, and just stick with the silk/plastic plants for now?

I seen a nice heater that is 25w that has a adjustable control on it. SO far everyone had no problems having it in their 1.5-1g tanks. Is it ok to get as long I keep an eye on the temperature and thermometer? Heater can be found here http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...0525536&sr=8-1

I will stop with the questions before I started dog piling more. Sorry if I cause any problems here.

Last edited by Memphis; 11-05-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Typos
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #15 
Myates

NO to ghost shrimp for a non filtered tank or a small tank that has decorations.
Correct, no to shrimp as they need a filtered, aerated water with a little more room to be able to hide in.

NO need for testing kits since I do water changes twice a week (50% mid, and full at the end of the week)
You can because it is good to know in case something went wrong with him, but not necessary. You could always take a bit of tank water to either Petco or Petsmart to have it tested if you are questioning something- I believe they do it for free.

15w heater for my size bowl.
To answer this and the one below about the 25 watt heater- you can use the 25 watt, just keep an eye on the temp to make sure it doesn't get too warm (anything over 84* would be considered too warm).

Java Fern, Java Moss, Naja Grass great for small tanks that requires little light, but you need to anchor them down.
Correct, those are very easy, bare minimal plants- you can anchor them down with a rock or decoration, the grass/moss you don't have to anchor down if you wish not to- have a little bit floating on top would be nice.

Someone suggested an Anacharis plant. I read they can grow up to 2 inches. Are they suitable for a 1g fish bowl?
It takes medium to high lighting, uses fish waste and fertilizer as food, and grows to 3 feet fast. You can try it as it is a good plant for aquariums, just unsure how it would be in a 1 gal. Most all the plants would take up a lot of room quickly, so you would have to do pruning often on any you get.

Rocks is fine as long there is no pesticides etc. Let them soak about 5 days. Thank you for the info. I have a rock garden out front that has nice size river rocks that would would go nice in my fish bowl. One small one of course. We don't use pesticides, so the rocks should be fine.
River rocks should be just fine, soak them for a couple of days as I mentioned. You may not have to soak them for that long- mine were quartz and I am extra cautious sometimes hehe.

With 2 water changes a week. Should I bother with live plants, and just stick with the silk/plastic plants for now?
It's really up to you and how you feel. I can offer a couple alternatives and suggestions.. instead of the 100%, do 3 50% changes a week, and when doing them, use a turkey baster to remove any fish waste that you see. That way it's not too much water being replaced for the plants, yet you are doing enough to keep the chemistry in check- the plants will help a lot when it comes to removing ammonia and nitrates.

I seen a nice heater that is 25w that has a adjustable control on it. SO far everyone had no problems having it in their 1.5-1g tanks. Is it ok to get as long I keep an eye on the temperature and thermometer?
Answered above- it should be fine, just make sure it doesn't get past 84*. Adjustables are easier to control then the others and you can play with them to keep the temp right where you want it at.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some people do get a little "touchy" about tank size. I always recommend 2 gallons or larger but a smaller tank is ok as long as water changes are kept up with. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a gallon, though. By the way, rudeness will NOT be tolerated on this forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #17 
Bombalurina

I just want to comment on the anacharis - I have found it doesn't need medium+ light to grow in. I have mine in very low light and it still grows like a weed. I love it to pieces, but definitely would not recommend it for your bowl. I have to trim mine weekly to stop it totally invading my tank.

+1 on the java moss. A little plant like anubias nana, tied to a piece of lava rock or something, might also be a nice plant if you do want to go down the live route. :)

Good luck with your new fish! I hope you can pick up a heater soon. They make such a difference to a betta's health. :) And although I personally think a 1 gallon is small, I won't deny that good care can turn it into a betta paradise. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #18 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I just want to comment on the anacharis - I have found it doesn't need medium+ light to grow in. I have mine in very low light and it still grows like a weed. I love it to pieces, but definitely would not recommend it for your bowl. I have to trim mine weekly to stop it totally invading my tank.

+1 on the java moss. A little plant like anubias nana, tied to a piece of lava rock or something, might also be a nice plant if you do want to go down the live route. :)

Good luck with your new fish! I hope you can pick up a heater soon. They make such a difference to a betta's health. :) And although I personally think a 1 gallon is small, I won't deny that good care can turn it into a betta paradise. :)
Ah! Thanks for the enlightenment on the light with the anacharis :) I did not know that. I use the easier plants such as the java ferns/moss and such for my 1-2 gallons personally. I did a little research on the anacharis, where I got my info- but I trust what others who are using it says :)
Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

I'm not at all saying that you are wrong, Myates. :) My plants rarely do what other people tell me they will in terms of care and such. I grow several high-light plants successfully in 1.5 wpg in an 18 inch deep tank. I think a lot of it depends on where the plants come from - here anacharis is classified as an obnoxious weed in some states because it grows so well! And of course water chemistry is massively varied as well. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote