Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #1 
maggie9059789

Help! Discovered has ich newbie to fish

HELPP SOOOO I JUST FULLY DISCOVERED WHATS WRONG WITH MY RED CROWNTAIL BETA )MALE) he has ich so what do i do now? i'm not sure and i only have limited acess n money :( right now i took him outa his 1gallon jar into a tiny cup with fresh water so not that much ich parasites WHAT DO I BUY> WHAT TREATMENT? JUST WHAT DO I DO????i can maybe go to petsmart and i have this lil local pet store SOMEONE PLZ HELP!! TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT TO DO AND EVERYTHING I'M SERISOUYL ENW AND HAVE NO IDEA!!! HELPPP i really love blazer this is maybe the 3rd ish day but yest i've slightly seen some white but i was tired thought it wasnt much but now he wont do any tricks n such i thaught him n i know for sure hes sick and now ich i have him in a tiny cup right now with a bit of stresscoat NOW WHHATTT???email me plz too maggie_neopets@hotmail.com URGENTZ!! THANK YOU
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

I'm sorry... I only have one effective cure for ich and it's not something easily found in petstores... actually I'll be in trouble once I run out bc I haven't found it online either.
This is a good site for info: http://www.bettasrus.net/disease/ick.htm
What I use ia Aquarisol but most lps wont sell it.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #3 
Myates

Poor guy.. is he showing the white salt-like grains on his body?

Ick
•Symptoms: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. Lethargic, No appetite, Clamped Fins, Might dart and scratching against decor
•Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus.

AQ salt is actually pretty cheap - I got the Jungle's AQ salt for less then $3 at Walmart... good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #4 
EverythingNice55

I think what I almost did for this situation is going to my local pet store and asking a worker there the betta's condition... I think that they have a couple of things for it. I think that they had a container of something that you spread on your betta.... I think so.... I suggest going to your local pet store and asking for help. I hope he gets better soon!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #5 
JKfish

Hey there Maggie!

Ich isn't that difficult to cure, even though it may seem daunting. If you don't have a heater already, you're going to need to invest in one, because part of curing your fish is keeping them warm to help them get better. Since you have a one gallon, finding a good heater may be difficult, but an aquarium heating pad might do the trick. You'll just need to get a glass thermometer (they're 1 dollar at Walmart) and be sure to keep an eye on the water temperature. It should be somewhere between 76* to 80*, 80 degrees being prefered.

What you're going to want to do is buy Aquarium Salt. This is not table salt, but luckily you can get this in the fish section of any petstore or even walmart.

Since it seems he lives in a one gallon, you can keep him there. However, I would recommend removing any gravel or decor that is in there. Dose the tank with one teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon. I know that you could technically go up to three tsps of salt per gallon, but that is a bit overboard, and 1 tsp can be typically trusted to get the job done.

Be sure to preform a 100% water change each day, be sure to scrub it down with hot water. After you're done with the 100% water change, be sure to add a tsp of aquarium salt back in. You can do this for 10 days, after that you're going to have to stop using the aquarium salt, and simply do 100% water changes each day until he is better.

Using this natural method ought to be better for him than medications, in my honest opinion. :)

Last edited by JKfish; 11-05-2011 at 10:11 AM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

I safely treated my whole 29 gallon tank by adding 1 tsp aquarium salt per gallon and over the course of a few days raising the temperature upto 85-86 degrees...Leaving it there for a week or two and doing water changes and gravel vacuuming every couple of days helped.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #7 
maggie9059789

k, so today earlier at 9am (pst) ii went to petsmart right when they opened and got to talk to this guy who works there that knows quite a bit about fish "the fish guy" and he gave me a bottle of liquid API Super Ick Cure and the instructions he told me was: first get home and put 1ml of the med into water and after 8-12 hours do a 10% water change the nnext morning a 50% water change (not adding anything else) and the morning after that (so monday) 50% water change again but this time adding 1ml of the med again and repeat that 50% water change in the morning with every other day added 1ml of the meds,he told me since i only have a "bowl" and no filters or anything then i'd be really hardfor my fish to survive...but he said try try it this way so the med doesnt build up since it can be harmful to my fish,and yah imma just try that since its better than nuthin, at least its something to try,cuz if i dont do anything either than blazer wont survive :'( SO FAR HE LOOKS A LIL BIT BETTER ACTUALLY so i put in meds at around 11am and now it's 4;29pm and i htink he's doing slightly better he actually moved around more
Old 11-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #8 
maggie9059789

uh AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO RAISE THE TEMPERATURE right now my heater in my house isn't fully woking room temp is 24 degrees celceus and so the water should be that too....is that ok? cuz i've also been told how heaters mostly only work for 5 gal and up but i dont think i can even getone in time...
Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #9 
maggie9059789

OOH AND HE HAS ALL THE SYPTOMS OF ICK EXEPT FOR APPETITE LOSS,he's not hyper or anything anymore but he still comps his food in one quick bite just like how he does normally BUT I'M STILL SURE ITS ICK wll is there anything else the "grains" of white could be other than ick?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #10 
maggie9059789

@jkfish i was wondering where can i get those aquarium heating pad its sounds like a super good idea,and i cannt buy anything online thou so yah