Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #11 
JKfish

Maggie, your temperature is on the low side, it ought to be 26 degrees celcius. Petsmart does sell the submersible tank heating pads, so that would work.

I'm not completely sure what the employee is saying is correct, but I'm not familiar with that particular med. Read the directions on the bottle and follow as that says, because with medications, if you aren't careful and dose incorrectly, the pathogens will become immune to the meds and come back stronger and harder to cure.

Because he is in a one gallon, you really need to keep up with your water changes. Complete the med treatment, and see if that works. If not, I highly suggest you go to the natural method. We know what we're doing here. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #12 
maggie9059789

is it safe to all of a sudden stop the med treatment and use he natural treatment like u've said OR use the medicion from petsmart along with the aquarium salt treatment?
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #13 
maggie9059789

and i seriosuly have no way to make the water warmer than room temp (21 degrees celceous right now) would that effect him really badly?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

Sadly, it does have a negative effect. Bettas are tropical fish and in cold water their immune systems can be severely compromised, meaning they find it very difficult to fight off disease. Water temperature is usually two degrees fahrenheit lower than air temperature, so your water is actually around about 19C, or 67.8F.

The best and most effective way to kill ich is always by raising the temperature (usually safer than medication). For now, wrap his bowl in towels or a jumper, and make sure it is covered, too. Place it in the warmest part of the house.
As soon as you can, I would go out and grab a Kritter Keeper or even just a storage tub from a dollar shop. Get one that holds at least 3 gallons, if possible. Also grab a heater from a petshop and leave it for an hour to heat up the water in the new container. Remove him from his bowl and slowly acclimatise him to the new tub.
This is a cheap way of increasing his living space and hopefully curing the ich. :) By raising the temperature, the ich will be killed. If you can get it to 85F/29C for two weeks it will die.

Until you can do this, don't combine the meds with the salt. Use just one or the other.
Good luck!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #15 
maggie9059789

I JUST GOT A HEATER!!! http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...767036.2769132 THE ONE WATT ONE oh and i also put 1 pinch of aqaurium salt,he still has 40% of the original water with http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3480614 and the rest is new(er) water (changed 50% of the water this morning)
Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #16 
maggie9059789

@BOMBALURINA, uhh wait so now i have this heater thats currently warming my 1.5+gallon bowl up,is what i did still ok? the heater is suposed to keep the water at around 78degrees faraheint or 26 degrees celcues. the water stil have i'd say 40% of original water that has the meds (did water changes as directed from petsmart fish expert) and i added a pinch of aqaurium salt right before adding the heater 30 mins ag. and i'm changing 50% of his water tommrow morning along with adding anoter 1ml of the "super ick cure" medicion.(AND ALL THE WATER I ADD HAS STRESS COAT IN IT) do i add any more salt?when? I WAS DIRRECTED TO CHANGE 50% OF HIS WATER DAILY WITH EVERY OTHER DAY ADDING THE MEDICION TOO
Old 11-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #17 
maggie9059789

TEN WATT* lool not 1
Old 11-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #18 
Bombalurina

It's great that you got a heater! That will make a huge difference to his immune system, and the warmer you can get it, the harder the ich will find it to survive. :) Good on you.

The water change schedule sounds good to me, but I'm not experienced with anything under 5 gallons, so definitely wait for some advice from people with smaller tanks. :) I would personally just stick to heat and salt, but if you feel confident with the medication, that should work too.

Good luck! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #19 
JKfish

Hey Maggie, how's he doing?

With natural meds, until either the symptoms disappear or the ten days pass, every time you want to remove water, and replace it with fresh water, you have to add the proper ammount of salt.

For example, if you do a 50% water change, mix 1/2 a tsp of aquarium salt into your fresh water, so it is salted. When you do a 100% water change, add 1 tsp of aq salt into your gallon of fresh water. Doing so will keep the water at a constant salinity.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #20 
maggie9059789

my heater isnt fully working as its supsoed to on the package BUT IT DOES KEEP A CONSTANT 24 DEGREES CELCEUS which is warmer..... and as of mostly everytime i check on him hes just still in the top corner of his cubed shape bowl where the heater is. (the heate turns on and off but its still only 24degrees celceus,nuthin higher or lower)