Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #21 
maggie9059789

so how much salt should i add if my bowl is about 1.5 gallons and i do 50% water changes everyday along with the medicion every other day.(and the fresh water has stress coat in it{1ml} to purify water and to add a bit more good stuff to my fish)
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #22 
JKfish

Hey maggie, you might want to try and invest in a better heater. While it's better, it's not doing what it needs to do. You might as well return it and use the money to buy a heater that's worth the money you pay for it.

Well, with 1 tsp per gallon, and a 1.5 gallon tank, that means you need to add 1 and 1/2 tsps of aquarium salt to an unsalted tank. Every time you do a 50% water change (which is approximately .75 gallons, you'll need to add approximately 3/4ths a teaspoon to the fresh water).
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #23 
maggie9059789

right now my dad made this heater which is actually working and notdangerous to my fish and his temp. is 27 DEGREES CELCEOUS NOW :D
Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #24 
maggie9059789

hi so i was wondering if i can use the API's super ick cure medicion along with ur natural aquarium salt method which is : 1teaspoon of aquarium salt for my about 1.5 gallon bowl. with 100% water changes everyday with scrubbing my bowl with hot water before adding the fresh water. and i was also wondering if it's safe to deal with this whole ick thing before his possible case of velvet(you know how betta have this area near the end of his body and here the tail begins that has this colorful scales on it that's different than most of body?well his is blue and his full body is mostly red but when i shine a flashlight all the blue is yellow,like kinda like velvet would that be velvet then?thats the only part thats yellow too)
Old 11-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #25 
JKfish

Maggie, either stick with one treatment or the other. The natural treatment takes a little, but it works effectively. Treatments work quickly and efficenty, but they can harm your fish. Mixing is never a god idea. oh, and you'll need 1 and a half tsps since the treatment is 1 tsp per gallon. :)

As for the velvet, I don't think he has velvet, it might just be irridescence. If you can, take him out into a clear cup for a photo or two (one with flash and one without) and post it up here.

Oh, and when you say your dad *made* a heater, what do you mean? If he actually made one, be sure to keep an eye on the temperatures with your thermometer.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #26 
maggie9059789

yah i am keeping a really close eye on it and its working fine, he degisned it to not go over 32 degrees celceous and it frst starts slowley warming up then keeps it at that temp,his job is like with macinery n producing them n such so yah,and yah i dont think he has velvet,nvm about that,so i guess i'd continue with this medical treament for 2 more days,and then switch to ur conservative way if it doesnt work out :D

his temp right now if 29 degree celcoues :) (constant)
hes hiding a a corner thou with the heater
his pectoral fins wont stop flapping
one of his eye has a bit of red under it,might be bacterial infection? i cannt get a full close look at it,btu when i did at first it looked like his eye was poping in but now it migh be just part of his coloring,the part that hasnt fallen or turned to a peachish color yet

SO HOW MUCH SALT AM I SUPOED TO ADD?like alot of ppl just add tiny ammounts of it just to help with gill function,so how much am i suposed to add daily with the water changes if i'm doing 50% and the tank is about 1.5 gallon

AGAIN THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP :D
Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #27 
maggie9059789

right now i'm just adding a pinch
Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #28 
Pataflafla

Just stick to the medication until it's course is complete. no more salt until that medication is done.

After the medication is done, give him a day of just clean water. After that 24 hours of clean water, if he still has ick, put him on 1 tsp/gal dose (1.5 teaspoons dissolved before adding to your tank). If after 5 day he hasn't improved any, up the dose to 2 tsp/gal (3 teaspoons dissolved before adding to your tank).

If he ends up on the aquarium salt treatment, do 100% water changes every day and readd the dissolved dose of aquarium salt.

Once he's healthy, you don't need to do any aquarium salt. It's actually more harm than good to keep it in your tank constantly since it will eventually end up harming your bettas kidneys as well as making treatment with it less effective.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #29 
maggie9059789

oh okies thank you :D
Old 11-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #30 
JKfish

Hey there Maggie, your water temp is a bit high. I don't mean to be a nagg, but it 26 degrees C is the sweet spot. Much higher can be as bad for them as much lower.

Once you are done, if you want to do the salt treatment add 1.5 tps of salt to your tank. this equates to 1 tsp per gallon. Be sure to do a 100% water change each day and add 1.5 tsps of aquarium salt to the new fresh water. After ten days (max), after your 100% water change, stop adding salt. Just keep up with the 100% water changes until he is better. Then you can fall back the the regular one 50% and one 100% water changes a week.