Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #41 
maggie9059789

okies thanks :D hmm so 50% water change if all of a sudden he starts bashing himself around too? (and its not from shock of all of a sudden lights on/off) cause thats what i'm most worried about,earlier before i had figured out he has ick,he was randomly bashing himself around,like hard enough i could hear the noise.and earlier ike an hour ago he did that again twice when i was sitting next to him reading. what should i do about that?is that also from the ick? i'm pretty sure its almost all gone,and even durring hte week when he has a pretty serisou case of ick,he was more sluggish and "dead acting" not bashing himself around.is it possible that now he has moer energy and still has ick,he's now bashing himself again? i'm doing a 100% water change tommrow instead of the 50% that i've been doing daily for a week now,and adding tee medicion 1 more time. then what should i do? i think theres still the slightest bit of white "dots" still on him,shoudl i continue the medicion?move onto the salt treatment?or what?
OOH BTW HIS TEMP IS 25 DEGREES CELCOEUS ALL THE TIME NOW ;)
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #42 
Pataflafla

Finish up the meds and see if there is anything left of the ick. Do a 100% after the medication is complete to get everything out as best as you can.

If, by the end of the medication, he still has ick, then give him 1 full day of clean water. After that day, start him in 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt (Dissolve 1.5 tsp before adding to your tank) and do 100% daily water changes. Continue the salt treatment for 2 days after the ick has disappeared or for a maximum of 10 days.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #43 
maggie9059789

okies,oh and btw stress coat is a fish/water condishioner,and i heard theres a big difference between conditioner and dechlorinater(and can u plz explain that whole concept and difference to me please)

so is it still at least 24 hours if i only add stress coat(1ml of it for 4 liters,and i have 2 of the 4liter containers to actually fill up my tank when i do 100% changes,so i just dump out the extra water which is around 1.5-2 liters because my tank only needs 1 and a half of the 4 liter container's water)?

is it dangerous to have the water just sit there for about 10 hours (not 24 or so) if i'm just adding stress coat? because i know if its decholrinator then that makes the water instantly safe for fish. but for stress coat,which is water and fish conditioner i'm not sure how fast,and effective it's going to clean the water.

btw on the bottle it says 5ml/10gallon to clean water and 10ml/10gallon to help boost fish's regrowth of tissues and such,and since i'm already adding 2ml of stress coat to 8liters(and i think 3.8 something liters=a u.s. gallon) and dumping out 1.5 litres of it since theres extra water and all of the 8 liters wont fit i the tank my fish is in,would that be safe enough?
Old 11-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #44 
Pataflafla

I'm not sure on the specifics of stress coat since I've never used it as a water conditioner.

I use Tatra Aquasafe. It's cheaper and removes chlorine and heavy metals (Both of which can severely hurt your fish over time).

Chlorine will evaporate from the water if left out long enough. I don't know what happens to the heavy metals, but I believe there are soem components of stress coat that binds to it and makes it less harmful.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #45 
JKfish

StressCoat is both a dechlorinator and a conditioner. If you look on the front, in the orange box that says The Healing Power of Aloe Vera, you'll see towards the bottom it says "removes chlorine, chloramines & ammonia in tap water" . Seeing as it does so, you could add it right to the new water and then add it to the tank. Aging water is meant to remove some of the chlorine and chloramines, but the stress coat is doing that right away once you add it and swirl.

IMO, you don't need to dose that much, you pretty much only need it to remove the chlorine and chloramines. In the directions, it says to remove chlorine and chloramines that you need to add 5 ml (1 tsp) per ten gallons. That'd be about 1 ml for 2 gallons. Seeing as your tank is just under 2 gallons, 1 ml is just right.

during your water changes, what you are doing is fine, which is dumping out the excess water. It's probably easiest that way seeing as Stress Coat can be a bit hard to dose with.

If he's bashing himself against the tank, it could be him trying to itch the ich off. Finish up your medicine first, wait a day or so, and then go to the salt treatment if you need.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #46 
maggie9059789

well actually nowadays i add more like .75 ml to a gallon. that ammount is over .50ml which cleans water and the extra .25ml should help with some of the whole fish conditioner part,like helping with his slime coat and such,so yah that should be good :D good to know i did at least 1 thing absolutely right hahaha

OKIES THANK FOR ALL OF YOUR GUYS HELP <3

i'll post here again if theres something else happens thanks again =)

ooh and btw today,he hasn't bashed himself at all, and i've already spent around 3 hours i'd say literally next to him hahha,yay! he's more himself now, i'd say almost fully now

soo if i'm not 100% sure if all the ick is gone,should i still do like 2 days of the salt treatment?just to make sure? and tommrow's the last 50% water change(end of medical treaatment).so after that on tuesday i'll do a 100% water change and on wednesday i'd start the treatment if nessarary?

Last edited by maggie9059789; 11-13-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #47 
Pataflafla

Give him a day of clean water so you can inspect him after the medication has run its course.

Watch him very closely for a few days after the medication to make sure no more ick develops, but generally the medication is more effective in getting rid of it quickly and keeping it away.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #48 
maggie9059789

should i do the medicion for one more day then? cuz i'm not even sure about how long the treatment is,the bottle just says this:

For best results, remove activated carbon and continue aeration. Add one teaspoonful (5 ml) for every 5 U.S. gallons (19L) of aquarium water. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours, then change 25% of the water and add new activated carbon. Treatment may be repeated if necessary. Raising the water temperature to 82 F (28 C) speeds up the life cycle of the parasite and may hasten the treatment process.

so yah..... i dunno if i should conitnue for 1 more f those every other day treatments before using clear wwater,cuz yesterday he was still darting a few times
Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #49 
Pataflafla

Treat for one more day, then 24 hours of clean water and close surveillance.

If, after those 24 hours, he is still darting and has visible ick, then start on 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt and 100% daily water changes.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #50 
JKfish

Hmm, Maggie, he's been on that med for more than 2 days, right? If so, I'd stop using it and just keep an eye on him. If you want, just do a 100% water change every day for a few days (be sure to scrub all the decor down in the hot water - no soap). This'll help get rid of any possible ich that might be living in the bottom of your tank, and it'll give you time to watch out for any new ich developments.

After that, if he's clear and healthy, just stick to your one 50% and one 100% water changes a week. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote