Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #61 
Sakura8

Hmm. I've got to be honest, I don't see the ich on Blazer. I do see the belly trouble but I don't see ich. Myates, what do you think? I'm thinking 1-2 tsps epsom salt per gallon for the bloat for sure.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #62 
Pataflafla

It looks like he just paled up from being constipated.

I've got a red crowntail that has the same white dots pattern on his sides when he gets pale, so it might be something to do with color layers and iridescence.

Fast him for a day or two, and if he's still bloated afterwards, start him on 1 tsp/gal epsom salt and 100% daily changes (Redosing the salt, of course).

Epsom salt should be easy to find at grocery stores and pharmacies since it is used as a laxative for people. It should also be relatively cheap.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #63 
maggie9059789

when i look at a angle i see lots of lil white dots that looked like ick from last time,its like on his lower fins and those 2 long ones that i see alot of, in the pic his fins r clampeded so u cannt see it,the one where hes flaring is from last week i think when he was fully healthy

SOOOO ABOUT HIS TUMMY.... no food until saturday night.if he's still having a big tummy then 1.25 teaspoon of aquarium salt (which i now have =) ) along wiht daily 100% changes daily UNTIL ITS GONE?(the bloatedness)

AND HE IS DARTING AND EVERYTHING so im pretty sure he does have ich(he's flasking i think it was called?) i can show u a vid i took 2 days ago,i guess ill post it on youtube when i get home (1-2 hour(s))

Last edited by maggie9059789; 12-08-2011 at 08:31 PM.
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #64 
maggie9059789

ooohhh epson salt,not aquairum salt? (if 2 days after fasting n hes still bloated)
Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #65 
maggie9059789

and guys what do u think about this,RoyalBlueDarling suggested it and pmed msg me this idea:
heres what they basicly said:

nv do 100% changes it stresses fish out too much,along with messes up water or something
INSTEAD EVERYDAY: do a 1 cup water change (remove 1 cup,add a cup of fresh [conitioned and decholrinated water] back
AND ONCE A WEEK: 50% water change,so in my case 50% water change every saturday

whatcha guys think about that?????

AND BTW should i like rinse everything once in awhile?like iunno once a month or something

ANNNNDDDDDDD I NOW HAVE 5 GALLON TANK WITH FILTERS AND EVERYTHING THAT MY DAD'S FRIEND GAVE ME (USED) can u plz teach me how i should use it and how maintenance and all that works

(right now my water changes r normally 50% change on weds 100% on sat)

but now cuz of ick,its the same med treatment a before,50% daily,with meds added every other day
Old 12-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #66 
Pataflafla

100% water changes while on salts is a good idea. Even if it's stressful, it's less if you were to accidentally overdose and cause more issues.

If your guy gets stressed out too much by them, then just add in two more 50% changes weekly (I do four 50% weekly changes for Ratchet since his fins are still messed up from tail biting and because he'll bite himself if he's cupped at all).

Give him until Sunday morning before starting any epsom salt (Just saying morning so you can make sure he doesn't react adversely to the epsom).
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #67 
maggie9059789

can i treat his bloating with the epsom salt ALONG with the ick medicion? (IF it does come to me having to use the epsom salt for his bloat cuz the fasting didnt work) he's also finally pooped again =) its like brown,long n stringy-ish shape,thats a sign of constipation right?( ithink i read about that somewhere in a random thread)

and i can just buy epsom salt at shoppers drug mart right? is there a special kind?or kind to avoid?

Last edited by maggie9059789; 12-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #68 
Pataflafla

I think you could safely use epsom salt combined with ich medication. Keep a close eye on him for any signs of stress. If he gets paler or more lethargic, then immediately stop one of the treatments.

Epsom salt (No added colors or scents) can be found a a pharmacy, Walmart (If available to you), and grocery stores for sure. It's cheap and should last youa relatively long time if you're only using it for fish.

I got a half-full box (1 pound of salt) and it's lasted me a month already and isn't that much down passed half.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #69 
maggie9059789

heres the video of him not really hitting himself but similiar to that most likey cuz of his ich
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7179593...in/photostream

heres another vid of him,and u can see hes itchy,like there's rubbing himself in the corner there,this was taken 2 days ago,quite often when he woke up from his lil naps this is what happened,its stopped for now,like i havent seen it today at all...... but theres still white dots/spot on him
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7179593...in/photostream

Last edited by maggie9059789; 12-09-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #70 
Pataflafla

That is unusual behavior. Has his poop been getting lighter and lighter over the past few days?

Usually darting like that is seen with an internal parasite. It's common to dart with external parasites as well, so keepa close eye and continue the ick treatment just in case it might be that again.

You'll be able to see if his poop is normal or not after starting the epsom salt. In most cases that I've experienced the betta usually ends up pooping within hours of being placed in the epsom salt water.