Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #71 
maggie9059789

so do i still do the fasting until sunday morning or use epsom salt asap?
and yah i do physically see some ick,before i saw the white dots he wasnt weird at all,so im hoping along with thinking that its most likely only ick n bloatedness thats wrong with im

and poop's color is pretty much same,but now,poops less frequently (of course cuz hes bloated) and when he does finally poop (today 2 big pieces) it is clumped and/or stringy ish instead of more pellet shaped,tiny n round ish shaped

and his behavior nowadays is either just like him totally leaning on that metal rod heater and thats it,or in a corner just there laying right now,sometimes looks like slightly gasping for air,and as in 2nd vid,he's still then all of sudden and when he wakes up from his nap to get air he might get a bit darty half the times

imma go do the daily 50% change now..... ( btw should i tkae the poop out of his bowl?ones on his leaf whic i can reach easy,i dont hafta scoop it from bottom or anything making a current,so that'll take out or stop it from causing more ammonia?)

and also,can u just teach me how to treat internal parasites too?just in case n such,its good to at least know so im more prepared.... thanks =)

Last edited by maggie9059789; 12-09-2011 at 01:24 AM.
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #72 
Pataflafla

It is best to remove poop as soon as you can since it decaying does allow for more ammonia to be created. I've found that a small airline tube works well for getting most of the poop out like a vacuum.

for internal parasites, you'll want a medication for a quicker cure, or you could go with the natural garlic method (Garlic has natural anti-parasitic properties).

For medications I suggest Jungle anti-Parasite fizzes (1 tab per 10 gallons) or API General Cure (1 packet per 10 gallons). For that, it's just following instructions on the box.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #73 
maggie9059789

can u teach and explain the natural garlic method to me please =)
Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #74 
Pataflafla

I'm actually very hazy on it.

You could pm Oldfishlady and ask her about the natural garlic method she uses. I know she talked about it a little bit with me when I was having parasite issues with Frog. I'm still unclear as to whether it's everything soaked in garlic juice or actually feeding small chunks of garlic. I do however know that it takes more time to clear the issue than a medication.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:18 AM   #75 
maggie9059789

uhh so i got new healthier food for him, i started fasting his on thrudays night,now its sunday morning 1;14am for me,i feed him now?i think hes not bloated anymore,but still super weak and no energy and just in a corner laying "splat down i'd say,(not literally lool)but just like putting his weight down almost fully onto the bottom of his bowl

and i have epsom salt 100% natural no scents/color

so how should i do this? i still have 30% water changes daily (not 50% anymore, some fish person at petsmart told me thats most likey too stressful for my fish since he's already really weak)with medicion every other day
and ur epsom salt method is 1 tsp per gallon,since mine is 1.5 ish id still only put in 1 tsp and then 100% water change?wont this effect my medicion treatment?

and id say blazer pretty weak and not in a good condition for 100% water change......... so what should i do?wait til he perks up a bit more before doing the 100% change to clear up some random ick in the bowl?

its just that the epsom salt treament's water changes n everything dont go well with my ick medicion treatment...so iunno what to do,or maybe i shouldn't do the epson treament...he pooped a bit more today..... maybe its not safe for him to not eat while hes so weak for such a long time,i'll just give him 1 pellt tonight (1am) and 1 more in morning n then yah.....seee what u say/think about that

Last edited by maggie9059789; 12-11-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #76 
Pataflafla

I think you could stop the ick medication to be honest. I didn't see anything looking like ick in your most recent pictures, and medications do tend to be rough on any fish.

You can safely feed him now that he's had time to let everything run through him.

For taking him off the medication, just slowly wean him off my doing your 30% daily and just don't redose the medication. See if that helps him out any. Which brand of ick medication are you using by the way? I'm sure there must be directions for it somewhere.

Hold off on the epsom salt until most/all of the medication is out of the water and watch him closely for more signs of constipation or slow bowels.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #77 
maggie9059789

right now theres clearly aot of ick now, in the picture,it was only a teeny bit where it was just some white dots on his lower fins but now its on his heaf fins n everywhere

the medicion is api's super ick cure (same as last time)

and i just put the epsom salt in...... i thought that i'll leave it in for 10=12 hours then do a 100% water change to clear out the salt and also redosethe medicion since tonight's one of the every others days to redose medicion

and slow bowels?
Old 12-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #78 
Pataflafla

Slow digestive tract. Like if you were to eat, and then not go to the bathroom for a few days. Normally humans are supposed to go every day, same as bettas (Or at least mine do).

Here are the instructions for the medication you're using:
For best results, remove activated carbon and continue aeration. Add one teaspoonful (5 ml) for every 5 U.S. gallons (19L) of aquarium water. Repeat dose after 48 hours. Wait another 48 hours, then change 25% of the water and add new activated carbon. Treatment may be repeated if necessary. Raising the water temperature to 82F (28C) speeds up the life cycle of the parasite and may hasten the treatment process.

From this site: http://aquariumpharm.com/products/Te...TechSheetID=31

So it looks like you're supposed to
1. Dose the tank
2. Wait 48 hours (2 days) and then repeat dose
3. Wait 48 hours (2 more days) and then do a 25% change

With the schedule you're on (If I'm reading correctly), you might be overdosing him, which could very well lead to his lethargy.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #79 
maggie9059789

the person who told me about 30% changes n every other day i add medicion told me that his instruction differs because of how my bowl doesnt have a filter and he's worried about the medicion building up and being to harmful for blazer

SO WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?

on friday was the last time i've added 1ml of the medicion,and sicne then there has been a 40% water change and now 1tsp of epsom salt has been added to his water.(i didnt do his 30-40% water change today yet)

and also today,and right now he's still leaning n putting his body weight on the heater,but hes still flapping his pectoral fin,and only the one thats not leaning on the heater

Last edited by maggie9059789; 12-11-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #80 
maggie9059789

http://www3.sympatico.ca/drosera1/fi...ness.htm#Metal
http://www3.sympatico.ca/drosera1/fi...on%20Poisoning

i think its those 2........ so 100% water change and i'll try to use a 50 watt heater turned down to maybe lowest,i'm testing it right now, to heat the water(a real heater from petcetera? i think it was)
and should i totally stop with the medicion?use the nutaral aquarium salt method?

so the natural salt treatment for ick:"add 1.5 tps of salt to your tank. this equates to 1 tsp per gallon. Be sure to do a 100% water change each day and add 1.5 tsps of aquarium salt to the new fresh water. After ten days (max), after your 100% water change, stop adding salt. Just keep up with the 100% water changes until he is better. Then you can fall back the the regular one 50% and one 100% water changes a week. " AND WHAT TEMPERATURE SHOULD WATER BE KEPT AT?normally when hes healthy its 25-26degrees celceous,should it be higher to treat n make the cycle of ick faster?

Last edited by maggie9059789; 12-11-2011 at 03:57 PM.