Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 03:21 AM   #1 
JahBetta

First Aquarium - 10 Gallon

Pretty excited; finally decided on a 10. Was contemplating 20 but I couldn't find anything to put it on considering that I want it in my room for the atmospheric effect.

At that; I have no clue where to start. Got my tank picked out though that's for sure.

Tank - 10 Gallon
Fish - Plan to have a Crowntail Betta, and some Tetras / Shrimp or maybe Pygmy Cories, maybe some Platys, Rasboras??
Plants - Live Planted; Java Moss, Hornwort, etc.

Not too sure on anything else. Suggestions with my first tank?
JahBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the world of fish keeping....awesome hobby to be apart of.....

Since you want a planted tank-you may need to upgrade the stock lights on the system....look for daylight 6500k 20w bulbs for a 10gal

When you pick out plants-make sure they are true aquatic that can live underwater.....a lot of the plants sold at the box pet shops in tubes are NOT true aquatic...grab a plant book and look them up while in the store to be sure.

Since you are wanting a planted tank...why not start out with plant specific substrate....it cost a bit more-but its a one time investment....or get a really small size gravel..

Do you understand the nitrogen cycle...research that if not...I wouldn't stock the tank too fast until you have the nitrogen cycle established and this can take 4-8 weeks
You can safely cycle with the Betta provided that you are willing and able to make the needed water changes....

When you get your tank and supplies....be sure and get a good dechlorinator like Prime if you are on city water supply and all the cleaning supplies too...like a bucket, vacuum, algae scrubber suited for the type of tank you have either glass or acrylic..

Look around this site and read all the sticky-then ask questions on what you don't understand....

Most important...have fun...this is a great hobby......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote