Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #1 
Gen2387

Cloudy water... advice please!

So I've had my 5gal for a month with 1 Betta in it. First 3 weeks water was great. I do a 25% and a 50% with gravel vaccum every week. When I do my gravel vaccuming, there's some particules that are left floating around the tank but they settle back at the bottom so I don't think that's what's causing the cloudy water.

All my chemicals are fine I tested.
Any idea what it could be? It's not SUPER cloudy but enough that I can see it when I enter the room. Is it normal? My fish seems fine, no change in behavior or appetite...
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 
Micho

Do you have a filter? If you have a filter see if it has some activated carbon, usually carbon will help clear up your cloudy water.

If you don't have a filter I know some products remove cloudy water, you can usually find them at your LPS.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #3 
Gen2387

Yes it's filtered a and the filer cartridge are these:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...P7Z4CyoC48Nukg
Old 11-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #4 
Gen2387

Forgot to mention I also use Nutrafin AquaPlus as a conditioner and a little of Nutrafin Cycle.
If not familiar with these products go here: http://www.hagen.com/canada/francais...n/nutrafin.cfm

I'm in Canada, those are the products you see the most at LFS or LPS.

And you mentioned something about products to help clear up the water? What are they?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #5 
Micho

Ohh, I never liked the Marina Slim filters, my boyfriend has one of them in his 20g.

Yeah I don't think it has carbon in the cartridges, you can try some bottled products for cloudy water, or maybe fit some carbon into your filter if you can.

I use the same water conditioner as you do, so it's not that. Nutrafin Cycle doesn't really cycle your tank so I'll scrap that if I was you.

Bottled cloudy water treatment are like Clarity by Seachem, etc. Just ask of they have any at the store.

Last edited by Micho; 11-04-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #6 
Gen2387

Ok thanks A LOT! This thing has been bothering me for a couple of days. Might I ask why you don't like the Marina Filters? Maybe I should change mine?

Also how do I make something with carbon to put in my filter? And where do I put it in the filter?

I will try the prduct you mentionned.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #7 
Micho

Because the Marina Slim filters are actually pretty bad, they're designed so slim and they take up the whole slot in the hood that I couldn't fit my boyfriend's heater so we had to submerge even though you're not supposed to.

Marina Slim has only two stages I believe a mechanical and biological, mechanical isn't that good, the biological stage is okay I guess. There's no chemical stage which contains carbon this is why you're getting cloudy water.

If its just your Betta in that 5g no need to switch filters. To place carbon in your filter, they should sell replacement carbon for different type of filters at your LPS, just find small pouches and see if you can fit them into your filter, maybe remove one of the cartridges in your filter and place carbon there.

Or just use a bottled product.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #8 
Gen2387

I bought a small bottle of Clarity by Seachem. Can I put it in the tank when the fish is in there or should I wait until next water change?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #9 
Micho

Fish-in should be fine. .______.