Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish
Member
 
Littlebittyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Sponge filter recommendations

I plan on switching my 20 gallon and my 10 gallons to sponge filters eventually..I was going to try and make a few because it looked fairly easy but was afraid I would end up making something really bulky and not so easy on the eyes.....
I need to make or buy 10 filters...So I am trying to keep it somewhat on the cheap and I saw these on ebay and was wondering if anyone here has used this type of sponge filter?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Bio...item2563915a3f

I kind of like the way they suction cup onto the glass...but I am not sure if it is a good sponge filter?
I will have 3 or 4 in my divided 20 and 1 in each 10 gallon.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #2 
1fish2fish
Member
 
1fish2fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Sponge filters are one of those things where you really can't go wrong one way or the other That one looks like a good one.

I've made my own but honestly I prefer the pre-made ones because of the color. The sponge I use is white and tends to stick out more than a black one (because I paint my backgrounds black so they blend in).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme
Member
 
Draug Isilme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arkansas
I agree with 1fish2fish ^.^ I've read quite a bit about sponge filters. They're pretty much all the same, the only main difference is the asthetic appeal, which is pretty much why people don't like buying sponge filters in the first place >.> I actually made mine using one of those dragon bubblers they sell at PetSmart and I cut the sponge I was using to make it look like a firey pedestal xD It was really awesome and I managed to slow the flow with a gang valve and "baffle" it with another sponge in the dragon mouth so the bubbles weren't so big... Functional and stylish ^.~
That aside, I think the one you're wanting to get is pretty cool looking and it comes with a biochemical filter which I've noticed is usually what sponge filters lack and because of that is why some people say it's a good idea to have both a regular filter and sponge filter together (takes up on the part that the other filter lacks and if you got this one, this wouldn't really be the case). I think the one thing you'd have to worry about is if it's the right size for your aquarium, but if it ends up being too intense, you can always adjust the flow, so it's not too big of a deal unless it ends up being too small...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #4 
laughing
Member
 
laughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US
Ok, can someone explain this... how the heck does it function? I've been looking at buying some but I'm completely confused as the set up or how they're supposed to work.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish
Member
 
Littlebittyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
Ok, can someone explain this... how the heck does it function? I've been looking at buying some but I'm completely confused as the set up or how they're supposed to work.
This guy explains it pretty well i think..
http://youtu.be/FfLA_IMbjjY
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #6 
Draug Isilme
Member
 
Draug Isilme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arkansas
Here's another good site that explains how they work as well ^.^
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....iltration.html
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #7 
Thunderloon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
The one you linked to on e-bay isn't a very good type, they're tedious to keep operating well. They don't have even air distribution in the lifting pipe and won't perform as well as you'd like.

You want to look at Hydro Sponge http://www.jehmco.com/html/hydro-sponge_filters.html The "#2" is fine for a ten gallon tank and you can take the little extender off the bottom and make it sit low like the #0. For a 20 gallon tank you can simply place two #2 towards the ends of the tank in the back and have great coverage.

I advise using Discard-a-Stone with these sponge filters since you can take the bubbly part of Discard-a-Stone and stick it directly on the lower hose nipple inside the cage (which is inside the sponge). They're cheap in bulk and I've gotten longer run time from them than from any other airstone type.

If you get your own lengths of the 1" hard clear pipe you can replace the pipes that come with the Hydro Sponge to maximize the lifting capacity for circulation and keep the blender effect of exposed bubble columns to a minimum. Figure on a half inch gap at lowest water height.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #8 
vilmarisv
Member
 
vilmarisv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
I have both types, the one OP mentioned (but with double the sponges) and the one Thunderloon mentioned... they are made by the same company.
The first filter I have in my 14 galon... very good filter with good out flow that is easily adjustable with a valve.
IMO, it's a matter of preference... and yes, look at the amount of galons for the filter. No need to have 4 filters in a 20 galon.
Sponges filters are preferred by a lot of people because of the great surface area they have for bacteria growth. For us betta keepers, the fact that your fishies fins will be safe is a HUGE plus.
Also, you can actually operate multiple sponge filters with one air pump... I have 3 hooked up to one and use a valve to control the flow of air to each one.
I get my supplies from Dr Foster and Smith Aquatics... good prices.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #9 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
Ok, can someone explain this... how the heck does it function? I've been looking at buying some but I'm completely confused as the set up or how they're supposed to work.
Don't worry about it. When I first got into the hobby, I had no clue how they worked either. I didn't know they needed an air pump or even how to connect an air pump. I wasn't even sure if the air pump stayed in the water or outside the tank. Good thing I went with a power filter that time or I coulda been in big trouble.

That said, sponge filters are great! Except for one thing: they're butt-ugly and hard to hide. D:
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #10 
Littlebittyfish
Member
 
Littlebittyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
The one you linked to on e-bay isn't a very good type, they're tedious to keep operating well. They don't have even air distribution in the lifting pipe and won't perform as well as you'd like.

You want to look at Hydro Sponge http://www.jehmco.com/html/hydro-sponge_filters.html The "#2" is fine for a ten gallon tank and you can take the little extender off the bottom and make it sit low like the #0. For a 20 gallon tank you can simply place two #2 towards the ends of the tank in the back and have great coverage.

I advise using Discard-a-Stone with these sponge filters since you can take the bubbly part of Discard-a-Stone and stick it directly on the lower hose nipple inside the cage (which is inside the sponge). They're cheap in bulk and I've gotten longer run time from them than from any other airstone type.

If you get your own lengths of the 1" hard clear pipe you can replace the pipes that come with the Hydro Sponge to maximize the lifting capacity for circulation and keep the blender effect of exposed bubble columns to a minimum. Figure on a half inch gap at lowest water height.
Thank you! That is exactly what I was concerned about with the suction cupped sponge filters..Looks like I will go with the hydro or something similar...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I have both types, the one OP mentioned (but with double the sponges) and the one Thunderloon mentioned... they are made by the same company.
The first filter I have in my 14 galon... very good filter with good out flow that is easily adjustable with a valve.
IMO, it's a matter of preference... and yes, look at the amount of galons for the filter. No need to have 4 filters in a 20 galon.
Sponges filters are preferred by a lot of people because of the great surface area they have for bacteria growth. For us betta keepers, the fact that your fishies fins will be safe is a HUGE plus.
Also, you can actually operate multiple sponge filters with one air pump... I have 3 hooked up to one and use a valve to control the flow of air to each one.
I get my supplies from Dr Foster and Smith Aquatics... good prices.
The only reason I was considering 4 filters for the 20 is because I have that tank divided for 4 bettas...(maybe 3..I am considering taking one of the dividers out)wasn't sure if the sponge filters would be able to filter well through the dividers..and HOB filter was causing a whole lot of current in the one divided section and beating my fish up..even after baffling really well...I may stick with 2 sponge filters at first and see how it goes..I have an air pump that is good for 20-60 gallons and up to 6 filters. I will go check out Dr Foster and Smith Aquatics and see what they have...I haven't looked their yet for sponge filters.
This is my slow work in progress...haha...I will have 3 tanks or so on this one stand so filtering them all with the one airpump would be nice.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filter Recommendations and other confusion ilovebunnies Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 4 01-27-2011 02:27 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.