Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #1 
BellasMomma

Anyone here use play sand in the tanks???

I want to do sand in my 10gal. divided tank with my 2 Bettas to help hold up the divided better. Id just like to know what you guys who may have used/know someone who has used play sand before think r the pros/cons of it. Id also LOOOOOVEEE to see pictures of yer tanks with the play sand so i know how it will look!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Never done play sand but during my research for the right kind of sand for me, it's safe to use as substrate. Make sure it's sand, there are sands out there that aren't really sand. Post pics when you have your tank ready!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #3 
Trobar

I used a cap of play sand over topsoil for my NPT. You will have to rinse it several times before it becomes clear but the natural look was what I was going for so that is what I used with OFL's approval :)
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #4 
BellasMomma

VIL - whats a way to know for sure its sand... i was looking at one at home depot, it just said it was play sand...

TRO - whats OFL...
Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #5 
Trobar

Awesome member here named OldFishLady, she is the one I went to for all kinds of help for setting up my NPT.
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #6 
BellasMomma

o ok!!! gonna check her out! thanks!!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #7 
pyro fiend

most play sands are like all sand dust and rocks. i used a type in a dif tank im not using.. only downside is cleaning it soo soo much to get it undusty. and even when it has been cleaned itl make your tank dusty for a few hrs-aday[time depends on how well u washed and what brand it is]
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #8 
bastage

I've seen it recommended to use sand blasting sand too. a little more expensive then play sand, but should still be a hell of alot cheaper then "aquarium" sand..
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #9 
pyro fiend

stage, acutaly there almost the same thing. just play sand isnt as fine and tad more dusty. i personaly would ask anyone i know with a truck who uses sand bags. ask them if they had any left over bags form last year that broke :P i used that in my goldie tank. its less dusty but sucks if the bag broke just wash it realy fine use high pressure and mix it around a bit.. id ask people about trucks sand first its free cause most ppl dont want dumped sand ^.^ and you gont have alot of it just sitting around taking up space =]
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #10 
Tisia

I use pool filter sand. bit more expensive but it's a larger grain than the play sand so less likely to form anaerobic pockets and doesn't get picked up very easily by my siphon or filter. plus because it's meant to go straight into a pool filter you don't have to do a whole ton of rinsing
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote