Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #1 
Gen2387

Question Carbon in the filter help!

So I've said previously in another thread that I have a small problem with cloudy water, I went and bought this activated carbon:
http://likethatprice.com/wp-content/.../21753_pid.jpg
It comes in a little bag.

How do I put it in this filter:
http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!B6tTDswEWk~$%28KGrHqF,!mEEy+jC1N9+BMyT-8tTBw~~-1_35.JPG

I think I will have to remove one of the filter cartridge because the carbon bag is too thick to squeeze in the back or in front of the cartridge. Would it be okay? I would leave the left cartridge there and change the right one and put the carbon.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Your link to the filter didn't show up....

Do you know why your water is cloudy......carbon may or may not help-but its important to find the root cause and correct that

What size is the tank, how long has it been running, additives used, live plants, water changes, how much and how often, type of substrate and how deep, stocking.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #3 
Gen2387

I'm posting the link again for the filter.
http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!B6tTDswEWk~...TBw~~-1_35.JPG

My tank is 5gal, filtered, heated. I do a 25% and a 50% with gravel vaccum every week. Everything in the tank is rinsed before being put in the tank (with water only, no soap), I use Nutrafin Aquaplus for conditioner and there are no live plants. Only 1 betta.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Filtered 5gal with a single Betta....assume 1inch regular gravel substrate?

How soon is it getting cloudy after the water change...and is this a brand new setup or is the nitrogen cycle established....

In 5gal with a single Betta-I wouldn't do more than 1-50% weekly with vacuum.....unless you are doing that second water change for the cloudy water, if so-don't vacuum with the second water change-just water only....white cloudy or green cloudy.....if white- its a bacteria bloom and normal with a new setup (less than a month old) it should resolve on its own generally unless you are overfeeding or leaving uneaten food for too long.

How is the Betta....any change in behavior or anything...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #5 
Gen2387

I've had the tank for a month and it's white cloudy so i'm assuming bacteria from what you've said. I'll wait a little to see if it resolves by itself.