Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Didn't Rinse Well Enough

So I bought a brand new 2.5 gallon tank, 2 silk plants, 3 plastic plants, and a 25 watt heater yesterday. I rinsed everything with hot water (minus the heater chord) including the gravel. After filling the tank up and letting the temperature settle out, as well as double dosing on dechlorinator since it's the tank's first use, I decided to move Ratchet into it.

He absolutely loved it. He was chasing the still escaping bubbles, exploring, and staring down the plants and heater light. I fed him 4 freeze dried bloodworms (That's all I fed him yesterday) kept him up for another hour or so and then covered everyone up for bed.

Since I had to work this morning, I didn't get to check on him until a little after noon today. The temperature is stable at 78-79, but Ratchet didn't look too good. He was sitting in the top corner of the tank clamped and a little pale. his eyes also appear to be a little swollen too.

I'm not suspecting the tank or the gravel (Since it was out of the same bag that my sister used for her new 2.5 gallon and the betta in there has no issues with it). I'm worried about either the heater, the silk plants, or the plastic ones. Regardless of which, I'll be taking them out and rinsing them in hot water again and doing a 100% water change.

Is there anything more that I can do for Ratchet? He's cupped in almost completely new water with 1 tsp/gal epsom salt. He's also still floating in the tank, but he hasn't perked up at all yet.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #2 
betta89

ummmm
i dont think your saposed to doble dose and you should only put in as mutch declorenator stuff as it says for your tank size
also add some stress coat
im sorry im not mutch help so keep posting for more advice
betta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Finished rinsing and the water change. I've got him floating in the tank (In his cup of course) adjusting the the temperature. I may release him once he perks up, but his eyes are still cloudy/swollen and he's not interested in anything but staying at the bottom of the cup.

I'm going to change the water in his cup in just a few minutes to make sure that whatever is making him feel ill isn't still in the cup with him.

Should I keep him on epsom salt or switch to aquarium salt?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

Since you say his eyes have swelling, I would keep him in Epsom salt. OFL said that both ES and AQ salt have anti-bacterial properties, it should help both the cloudiness and the swelling. So you don't need AQ. Poor little dude, I hope he gets better V-V
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

I hope so too. I just wanted to get him into something nice that could be heated reliably, and then bam! I didn't do it right. Poor guy's gotta deal with my mistake now.

I've got him in just clean water (Straight from the tap with water conditioner) for now since I just changed him out again. I'll add in some more epsom salt a little later so he can calm down too.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I'm wondering if maybe he scratched or irritated his eye on the plastic decor?

Just to share a similar story, my boy had a white spot on his eye and it was slightly swollen, I put him in 1tsp/gal of epsom salt, the next day the swelling was gone. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and your boy recovers.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #7 
aurasoulful

Keep us posted Pataflafla. We are cheering him on
Old 10-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

Added in the epsom salt, but I honestly think that the clouding is from chemicals in the water or something. Ammonia and everything should have been in the safe zone since it was straight from the tap (And none of my other fish had any problems with it during water changes yesterday, not even Mirage who was changed within 10 minutes of Ratchet).

He seemed a little more active when I went to add the salt, but he keeps clamping his left pectoral fin to his body as well as generally staying clamped up. H's still resting at the bottom of his cup, but I really hope he makes it though this. It would be so disappointing and sad to lose him to this when he made such a great recovery from ammonia poisoning when I first got him.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #9 
aurasoulful

It does sound like a chemical leech.. Too bad there isn't tests for that to be sure. Is the tank plastic or glass?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

The tank is glass. My sister bought a tank of the exact make and model at the same time as me and set one of her boys up in it last night as well, and that boy is doing just fine. I don't suspect the tank or gravel since we both used the same and her betta is not unwell.

I think it's either the plants or heater.

I still have him in his cup since he's only laying on the bottom of it (Slightly on his side now) and only goes up for air when needed. His eyes also look to have clouded a little more as well.

Should I up the epsom salt to 2 tsp/gal?