Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #1 
TielBird101

Exclamation Mystery Snail HELP!!!

I got my mystery snail today! ^.^ Peach and the little girl are doing fine together. :)

I've got several questions:
Peach, my VT, ate a lot of the algae wafer I got for the snail. Will this harm him? I plan on fasting him so he doesn't get SBD or something like that. :P He is FAT, I mean FAT! XD

My mystery snail is making an egg sac and laying eggs. What do I do with the snails if they hatch? I don't want to kill them but I don't have room for them either. What should I do??? :(

PLEASE HELP!

~Tiel

BTW, I put the snail in the betta container that Peach came in and the algae wafer earlier so Peach wouldn't eat anymore. That's where the snail is laying the eggs. And yes, I'm sure it's not poop. ::) I have the cup floating in the tank now so the temp won't drop.

Last edited by TielBird101; 11-02-2011 at 09:27 PM.
TielBird101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #2 
NflLover101

Come on someone has to have some help for my friend !!!!!
NflLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #3 
Silverfang

just fast him for 2-3 days, if he doesn't "slim" down, you may have to go to epsom salt. It shouldn't hurt him, my girls do the same thing, so I stick to veggies for them to nom. (my snails love broccoli stems)

Edit: oh yes, if you can get him to flare, this sometimes makes them poo
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #4 
NflLover101

Anyone else ? i wish i could help u sis :(
NflLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #5 
Sarahlydear

My males do the same thing and I just fast them if they get to big, eventually they started leaving the wafers alone so I no longer have to worry about it.
It shouldn't hurt them at all but if you are still worried about it you can feed your snail veggies just make sure you give plenty that are high in calcium for its shell.

As for the eggs I would leave them and see if they hatch. If they do I'm sure there is a Ma and Pa PetShop that would be willing to take them off your hands. It is very possible they won't though.
What color is your mystery snail? If it's yellow it may be an apple snail and their eggs need to be above the water (the snail will lay them above the water line) and I have a forum that can give you all the info you could ever want. :) And some one on there might even be willing to take them off your hands. :)

Forum: http://www.applesnail.net/forum3/index.php

Good luck!
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #6 
SmokeNLark

First, I must say that begging for help doesn't help. Please refrain from doing that in the future. People are not constantly on this forum who can help every person for every problem. Please have some patience.

Now, OP, I agree with fasting your betta. He should be fine. Mine get into the algae wafers sometimes too. Feeding the snail in a different area is good or dropping the algae wafer in the tank about an hour after lights are off will help too. That way your betta is asleep but your snail is awake. They are nocturnal.

About the eggs, unfortunately the best thing to do is take them out, wrap them in a tissue and throw them away. If they hatch, you will have potentially hundreds of snails to worry about. I missed an egg sack once and had to deal with about 100 babies. No pet store is going to take that many snails. Their snails breed too.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I had better luck with feeding my mystery snails blanched vegetables that are fairly high in calcium..My bettas would get bloated on algae wafers and my snails didnt get to eat it anyways after the betta got ahold of the wafers..lol...They didnt seem to try and eat the blanched vegetables. The snails like blanched cucumber,kale.spinach,arugula,collard greeens,carrots,zuchini,peas...just about any soft of vegetable blanched and cooled..I usually would leave the veggies in the tank for no longer than 12 hours or so.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #8 
CrazyFishLady

IME mystery snails aren't too fond of algae wafers and prefer something like a shrimp pellet. I put the snail right on the pellet so that the betta cannot get any. Just remove the egg sack if you don't want baby snails. It will only hatch if it's in a very moist spot anyway.
CrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #9 
dbockrath

You could try another brand of algae wafer too. My snails don't like the Tetra wafers but they like the Hikari ones. Also, I break the wafers up and kind of scatter them when I put them in so if the betta does decide to nibble at least he can't hog the whole wafer.
dbockrath is offline   Reply With Quote